• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A bit off topic

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see Orin on the Allpet roach forum often. Might want to try there too...
Awesome, the man himself..I'll try to contact him after I read his book. I just picked mine up, I got one male, 2 females. I have them housed, together, but I gotta get ready for work, no time for pics yet..they had one more adult female but I couldn't afford all of them..:mad: I'll feed and get pics soon.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
let me know what u guys find out on communal habitation with these little guys.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, I have 2 females, one large and one medium. I also have one male, large. They've were communal at the pet store, in an exxoterra tank. They were placed in a large noodle container with a central piece of cork bark : Unfortunately I can't upload the pictures, because I don't freaking know why..Anyway, I've been watching them since I got home, they were huddled in a circle facing each other, all on one side of the bark..then the large female got kind of aggressive with the large male, and he got aggressive back, and the small female ran behind the large male, and they got still again..by aggressive, I mean they kind of threw elbows at each other, made little jerking motions, and opened their arms a little, like half way. I had noticed the large female acting like that with the smaller female on the way back from town. I don't know if this behavior will lead to serious fighting, but the large female was just removed, and placed in her own, similar set up. I don't want any killing before I gain some understanding of their behavior, so if necessary I have yet another set up ready to go, for the smaller female, who seems to get along great with the male, so far. Its possible that the set up was too small, I just don't know yet..as I said, there was plenty of room on each side of the bark for distance, but they came together in some kind of Mexican standoff circle...or they were plotting against me, i just don't know..anyway, right off the bat I've noticed that if you use slow, gentle movements, they will move slowly..if you startle them, they're fast and panicky. Hopefully this little disturbance was just a dominance display, but who knows.
whip 021.jpg

Ok, I got that one to load, this is the larger female that got moved.

whip 012.jpg

This is the huddle. Now as this picture was loading, the male slapped the little female and she darted around to the other side of the bark...I think they're establishing their places in the new enclosure, but I'm not sure, so i'm going to remove the other female until I know more. This is what happens when you buy the animals before you buy the book..I'll post more when I get the book..until then, isolation for my "communal" whips. I have a large enclosure for them, but I'm not ready to move them into it, and i won't be putting them together again until I know what the hell I'm doing. Don't be a Mass, get the book first..sorry for the bad pics.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, apparently my environment is downright claustrophobic for these guys. The 55 gallon tank mentioned would be more appropriate for a communal..apparently a single whip needs a ten gallon on end..so, I'll have to rush to make something tomorrow before work...I have the tanks, but I don't like the idea of using un-ventilated 10 gallon fish tanks, because they need moisture, etc etc.. so I'll have to go buy plastic in the AM, drill vents, hot glue cork and rocks... And from what I'm reading, communals often end in dead Amblypigids, so three single enclosures it is, and date nights...I really should have gotten the book, I knew better than this..but they'll be fine :) Newb mistakes or not, they have moisture, temp is right, ventilation is good, and they are separated. I should have gotten the book. By the way, these are much more active then spiders. They are extremely interesting to watch, they clean themselves a lot, and explore..very interesting little guys. I could almost swear they watch me too..eyesight seems to be pretty decent for an arachnid. The big female definitely just reacted to me moving my arm, and turned her body with the movement. She's 6 feet away, and I'm not casting a shadow in that direction. Cool. :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a little update, based on a thread I was reading, I left the small female inside with the large male, and got her new enclosure ready. I caught them breeding this morning, the male was positioning the little female over the thingamajiggy, like scorpions do. I waited til they were done and put him in a new enclosure, so I'll see what develops..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really hope so..breeding success with these seems to be 50/50..some do well, others have problems..I'm going to keep the little female a little wetter than the other two, but its a fine line apparently.. Too wet, the eggs mold, too dry, they dry out..going to be reading more than working today ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im incredibly jealous but extremely happy for you,
looking forward to updates and more pictures as you get them.
It would be nice to have a large display piece with a community that actually gets along :)
Dependant on how difficult these end up being I may look into one in the future ^^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im incredibly jealous but extremely happy for you,
looking forward to updates and more pictures as you get them.
It would be nice to have a large display piece with a community that actually gets along :)
Dependant on how difficult these end up being I may look into one in the future ^^
Kymura, you HAVE to get a few of these..they are so awesome..I wish I could take them with me to work...lmao..When you pick one up for the first time you will be in love..My ex-girlfriend found them terrifying last night. My slings now have plenty of meat chunks to scavenge.:confused: Lol, that's a joke..I'm joking..
No really :mad::oops:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus
I've honestly been fascinated by them, even before I came to this forum, I find them uniquely intriguing.
Once my finances get straight again (6 months minimum, mother left no will or insurance so we are in a mess)
But once I get that straight I'm hoping you have learned enough to lead the rest of us into properly caring for these amazing creatures!
I do seriously want to have a few!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm ordering Orin McMonigle's book tomorrow.. Hoping it's good, with lots of info. It seems well spoken of. I'm also going to get several babies and raise them communally.. Babies that are related don't get aggressive, the adults do, related or not..with enough space or not as well..from what I've read. Hopefully I'll have my own babies as well, but I'm getting some from the lps while I can. My little dubia nymphs will be perfect feeders. I may pick up the last adult female while I'm there..I really like these guys ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ill try..maybe I should get a new phone with a good camera. I saw Tomoran talking about a good one, and his pics are excellent. You see mine, blurry and poor lighting..its why I haven't done a picture thread:(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pfft, we can see them, that's the important part, Mine are awful but I still take them ^^
On the other hand, ....it is an excellent excuse for upgrading the phone :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another thing : Dubia are no good for these guys, unless you're not using substrate. Mine seem to be rather slow to go after prey..maybe because they aren't hungry. Still, the dubia burrow, so I'll have to crush heads until my runner colony gets here next week. I refuse to go back to crickets..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncricketts
Unfortunately...All my avic will eat so far is cricketts....Hoping that she likes the roaches when they get here...

IhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncrickettsIhatedamncricketts

sometimes u dont have a choice mass. the bug wants what it wants. i cant get my avic to take anything but crickets most of the time.
mine too but thats alright for now, shes such a little Diva I'll tolerate them for her ^^

Latest posts