• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A bit off topic

Rockpython

3 Year Member
20151128_201806-1-1.jpg
"Scott's Spider Sanctuary " has acquired a cool D. diadema. The 55 gallon that was going to be a regalis tank, then a incei tank, MIGHT end up being for a few of these...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like a female..right? I've been reading up on them, getting a few Monday. At one inch if the "elbow" (don't call it that though, enthusiasts get touchy, Lol) is that much shorter then the first joint on the first leg, its a female. If I read it correctly.. So, grats on a female? :)

Rockpython

3 Year Member
Looks like a female..right? I've been reading up on them, getting a few Monday. At one inch if the "elbow" (don't call it that though, enthusiasts get touchy, Lol) is that much shorter then the first joint on the first leg, its a female. If I read it correctly.. So, grats on a female? :)
You and I must've read the same page. :) yes, it's a female. I am HIGHLY considering putting them into my 55 instead of H. incei

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is thought that it's about 10-15 years
I read the same thing, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of detailed info on these guys. Apparently there's only about twelve people in the world studying them...plus whatever competent amatures there are keeping them and recording behaviors and such..I have yet to come across much info on males, their lifespan etc..apparently these don't have ultimate molts, they just keep molting, so I'm hoping the males are just as long lived. I know there's a species here in Texas, but so far I can't even find the name..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well find out guys so I can get one, been looking at them as they fascinate me.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's good thread on arachnolords, and some good info. Also a book was mentioned "Breeding the world's largest living Amblypigid (Whipspider) biology, natural history, and captive husbandry" Its 35 bucks on Amazon..no digital copy has been published :( These guys just aren't real popular yet, not a lot of info out there, but I'll be buying that book for sure. Author was Orin Mcsomething...

Latest posts