• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

200 rare Montserat Tarantulas hatched at Chester Zoo UK

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
awesome! great to see stories like these, now if they could just do the avic genus or one of the other genera that are a mess ;)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was good little pice oF news thanks fo sharing @Fuzzball79 . A trip to Chester Zoo with the kids may be needed now.....lol.
I'd love to visit Chester Zoo at one point (bit far away). It's meant to be one of, if not THE best zoo in the UK.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd love to visit Chester Zoo at one point (bit far away). It's meant to be one of, if not THE best zoo in the UK.
It is THE best (imho). I have a zoo where I live and they have some tarantulas. They have a big canvass sign that says "Tarantulas are poisonous" idiots! I take great pleasure in telling the staff it is completely wrong. Apart from that, it is not too bad tbh and I usually go there at least once a year. Mainly cos they have wolves and otters though which are 2 of of my other favourite animals.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is THE best (imho). I have a zoo where I live and they have some tarantulas. They have a big canvass sign that says "Tarantulas are poisonous" idiots! I take great pleasure in telling the staff it is completely wrong. Apart from that, it is not too bad tbh and I usually go there at least once a year. Mainly cos they have wolves and otters though which are 2 of of my other favourite animals.

If i get my wolf hunting tag for the late hunt i'll send you the pelt ;)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love wolves, they're my favourite wild mammal! There is 4 animal parks up in Scotland I can think of who have wolves: The Highland Wildlife Park (not been yet, 2 1/2 hours up the A9 is not something I've fancied so far lol), Camperdown Wildlife Centre (visited the other day, they took a pair from (IIRC) the Highland park and they bred within months to everyone's surprise), Five Sisters Zoo (2 rescued Arctic Females) and Scottish Deer Centre (pack of 5 (?) Greys).
I'm all for reintroducing wolves (and Lynx) back in to the Highlands, providing provisions are made for their protection and that of live stock and they're in a large enough area (which to be fair makes the Highlands ideal, IMHO). There's a massive overpopulation problem of Red Deer up there, so why not have them culled the natural way (since the only other 2 predators able to take down red deers, the Golden and White Tailed Sea Eagles, are becoming rarer, too)?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love wolves, they're my favourite wild mammal! There is 4 animal parks up in Scotland I can think of who have wolves: The Highland Wildlife Park (not been yet, 2 1/2 hours up the A9 is not something I've fancied so far lol), Camperdown Wildlife Centre (visited the other day, they took a pair from (IIRC) the Highland park and they bred within months to everyone's surprise), Five Sisters Zoo (2 rescued Arctic Females) and Scottish Deer Centre (pack of 5 (?) Greys).
I'm all for reintroducing wolves (and Lynx) back in to the Highlands, providing provisions are made for their protection and that of live stock and they're in a large enough area (which to be fair makes the Highlands ideal, IMHO). There's a massive overpopulation problem of Red Deer up there, so why not have them culled the natural way (since the only other 2 predators able to take down red deers, the Golden and White Tailed Sea Eagles, are becoming rarer, too)?
I agree. Lots to be learned from the yellowstone reintroduction. It is possible if man stoos think it has to be superior to all other living creatures!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If i get my wolf hunting tag for the late hunt i'll send you the pelt ;)
I will have to decline. Could not look at it knowing it was once a wonderful living creature. I understand there is the need to hunt in certain circumstances but just not my bag.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they're an invasive species here. They introduced the Canadian Grey wolves (timber wolf, Wstern wolf) to this area, and they're a bit larger than our native Rocky Mountain wolves. Now the fish and game here are scratching their heads wondering what's happened to our native wolf populations. Real genius there.... All the while the animal activists are shouting to save the wolves, they just shouting for the wrong wolf. ;) I love reading these blogs and websites written by people back east that don't have a clue what's really going on :D defenders.org is a classic example of the clueless idiots.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they're an invasive species here. They introduced the Canadian Grey wolves (timber wolf, Wstern wolf) to this area, and they're a bit larger than our native Rocky Mountain wolves. Now the fish and game here are scratching their heads wondering what's happened to our native wolf populations. Real genius there.... All the while the animal activists are shouting to save the wolves, they just shouting for the wrong wolf. ;) I love reading these blogs and websites written by people back east that don't have a clue what's really going on :D defenders.org is a classic example of the clueless idiots.
Oh thanks, I didn't know that. When I hear about hunting wolves, I automatically assume hunting an animal that doesn't need to be culled (i.e. numbers aren't large enough to be of concern, just for the sh@ts and giggles and the trophy). I wouldn't have thought, that they could be an invasive species in the US, because in most of Europe they're desperately rare.
I suppose, it's a bit like some people in Scotland crying out in outrage when they're told you're supposed to report Mink sightings, so they're found and culled. They're an invasive species and the case of the Red Squirrel vs Grey Squirrel should have taught us where ignoring this will lead (I've never seen a Red Squirrel in the wild since moving here in 2010 :( ).