• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Xenesthis

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160127_20_56_02_Pro.jpg

mumbles and grumbles....DANG ENABLERS!
Look Kymura, look how cute little Pamphos are
he likes dubia nymphs..
lol, in fact they each destroyed a good sized nymph..the Xenesthis and the Pamphos are all just chilling, both Phormictopus have started building walls for defense in their hides. These didn't mess about either, they went straight to work and only paused to eat.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love big thick dark spiders, seriously,
I'm the odd one that prefers the look of a big blocky T over a GBB all day long,
(we aren't counting avics in this, as they are special, they float so they are in their own category)
I'll have to take a better look at some of these,
I suppose they have a horrible attitude?
(not that I actually mind that, I feel like its their house keep your paws out of it)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually, none of mine act defensive. I believe that may change with the Phormictopus, but you were right when you said I like big spiders with attitude, it's just going to move the genus to the top of the list for me. My stirmi wasn't overly defensive, he just stridulated at me and moved away, slowly and deliberately like big spiders do. My Lp female has slapped at me a few times, but she's not aggressive, just kinda pissy. Love her. lol. Anyway, they are nothing you couldn't handle, and I guarantee you'll start to like them showing a little character :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm perfectly ok with the guys and gals with attitude,
I never consider them aggressive, just defensive of their area.
And I'm perfectly willing to respect that.
Definitely going to look at a few vids and check prices on these guys ^^

To my way of thinking, we stick them in an enclosure then wonder why they defend it :confused:
I don't get that, makes perfect sense to me, it's their whole world, we're the intruders :p

(I have to admit when that sling ran up to my hand then stood up showing me it's teeny little fangs
like it was big and bad I fell completely in love with the little monster)

micheldied

3 Year Member
I love big thick dark spiders, seriously,
I'm the odd one that prefers the look of a big blocky T over a GBB all day long,
(we aren't counting avics in this, as they are special, they float so they are in their own category)
I'll have to take a better look at some of these,
I suppose they have a horrible attitude?
(not that I actually mind that, I feel like its their house keep your paws out of it)

I like big and blocky as well. I've never liked terrestrials with thinner legs.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ME, could you advise me for a Pampho? I believe ultramarinus is one of the most beautiful, but stays not so large... Which one is your favorite/better looking (female, as I know males are more colorful)?
Well I just started collecting them 3 months ago or so, I got a 4" female antinous, which is one of the biggest Pamphos, if not the biggest. Big black spider with red hairs on the butt, very impressive looking. And then I just got these two mascara, which are stunning as adults, the females kind of remind me of huge chalcodes. They're supposed to be a dry scrubland/ dry forest species, but I'm going to keep them moist until they're much bigger, then I'll try keeping one dry and see how she does. I bought the antinous first though, because they were the most impressive ones I could find videos of, and the big adult females are just spectacular..but one of the things that attracts me to the genus is that all the males, or 90% of them, are gorgeous..so even if you get a male, you get a big pretty spider :) To be blunt, many of the females look brown, even some of the antinous I've seen, I'm assuming because the black fades, or maybe some are more brownish, anyway many of the female Pamphos I see look similar to Theraphosa to me, which is not a bad thing, in my book. And yeah, the ultramarinus is supposed to get 6" or so, like the fortis. But the ultramarinus females are just as pretty as the males..If you're looking for color, you might want to look into Xenesthis as well...the adults are outlandishly colorful..Although I have to say, the intermedia and the immanis look identical to me, and so do the pics I've seen of sp blue and sp white.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Yeah, same for me: I'm not able to spot the difference between X intermedia and X immanis. I have a female immanis, mature and about 6 years old I think. She's not so large for an adult, but very beautiful. She's about to molt right now. When she's back with her new dress, I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for your reply. I'll see what I can find around here (not so easy to get Pamphos in Switzerland... maybe Germany?).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh by the way...I keep seeing videos from across the pond about the mythical Pamphobeteus arauno pollito, the chicken spider. Apparently they're not so mythical? Might want to look for one of those, they're supposed to be as big as the blondi but jet black..I'm sure you'll pay for the privilege of owning one though..and Germany would be a great place to look for spiders, I believe.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Supposedly the Arano Polito hasn't been successfully bred many times, even by the Europeans. I believe they've only been bred in the UK twice or thrice. A real Holy Grail species to me. I'd love a P. antinous as well.

Latest posts