• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried

philippa black

3 Year Member
Hi my red knee hasn't eaten for 4 weeks now. I thought he was maybe going to moult as he was staying in same position in his hide. but still no sign of him webbing up he came out the other day for a drink but then sat on top of his hide after instead of going in. I offered him a cricket but he didn't want to know usually he gobbles them up. He sat there for the whole day and night so I gently with tweezers encouraged him toward his hide entrance. as soon as he felt the edge of the opening he scurried in. But the strange thing was he was very sticky bits of substrate were sticking to him ect. is this normal or was he starting to web outside his hide what should I do ???

Telson

3 Year Member
Hi my red knee hasn't eaten for 4 weeks now. I thought he was maybe going to moult as he was staying in same position in his hide. but still no sign of him webbing up he came out the other day for a drink but then sat on top of his hide after instead of going in. I offered him a cricket but he didn't want to know usually he gobbles them up. He sat there for the whole day and night so I gently with tweezers encouraged him toward his hide entrance. as soon as he felt the edge of the opening he scurried in. But the strange thing was he was very sticky bits of substrate were sticking to him ect. is this normal or was he starting to web outside his hide what should I do ???
Sounds like pre molt :) Is his butt blacker than usual, or swollen looking?

philippa black

3 Year Member
Sounds like pre molt :) Is his butt blacker than usual, or swollen looking?
difficult to tell as he has about half of his rear end bare where he has flicked hairs out but I don't know what or why he has done this been like for a good 8 weeks way before went of food ect. but his legs look paler less colourful. the temp is 30C and humidity is 70C is this to much.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
May be preparing to molt. 4 weeks with no food is a drop in the bucket for a tarantula. Add long as the abdomen is plump it will be fine.

Telson

3 Year Member
difficult to tell as he has about half of his rear end bare where he has flicked hairs out but I don't know what or why he has done this been like for a good 8 weeks way before went of food ect. but his legs look paler less colourful. the temp is 30C and humidity is 70C is this to much.
You say his butt is bare. Is the skin pale, like white people, or dark? If its dark, or darkening, then the spider is in pre molt. If its white, its normal, all tarantulas are white. Lol.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You say his butt is bare. Is the skin pale, like white people, or dark? If its dark, or darkening, then the spider is in pre molt. If its white, its normal, all tarantulas are white. Lol.
Only part of the time :p

philippa black

3 Year Member
not sure as didn
not sure as didn't really notice colour just saw it was bare. he's back in his borrow now so leaving well alone incase he is moulting

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They'll drive you to grey hairs with worry if you let them. They do me anyway :(

philippa black

3 Year Member
its my first I have always wanted one :) can you tell me what is right temp and humidity please so I know if I got it right thanks

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For temperature, If your comfortable the sling most likely is too. Keep a nice full water dish and you should be golden :)
Please don't waste time on the silly humidity gauges. They rarely work correctly and cause more harm then good.

Edit for spelling::apparantly my iPhone thinks it knows better then I do about what to say :(

Last edited:

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Larger Ts have potential for long premolt cycles. especially slower growing specimens. Our A. Chalchodes is in premolt. hasn't eaten four about 4 weeks now and hasn't darkened very much but still has a plump abdomen. It could also be fasting. I have heard some Ts, especially G. Rosea/Porteris go several months without eating and not be in premolt.

philippa black

3 Year Member
Boris finally moulted yesterday but not only did he do it in the open but he didn't make a web. someone told me if I put the shed into some water it would open out and if I got a pic they could tell sex. I cant find the post now so I'm hoping they see this or someone else can tell me sex.

Attachments

• boris.png
    boris.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 22

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Boris finally moulted yesterday but not only did he do it in the open but he didn't make a web. someone told me if I put the shed into some water it would open out and if I got a pic they could tell sex. I cant find the post now so I'm hoping they see this or someone else can tell me sex.

Congrats on the moult :). Our B. smithis almost always moult in the open and one of them never bothers with a web mat.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We need the bottom part of the abdomen between the upper book lungs. Those will be the pairs of creamy white looking spots on the inside of the abdomen portion of the molt.
ie :
full

You can soak the molt in water and use toothpicks to very carefully unroll and open it up. A drop of dish soap helps it absorb water more readily.

Latest posts