• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who's molted today

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our GBB molted today and I was able to retrieve the exo from it's web tube without much trouble

IMG_20200319_232357.jpg
IMG_20200320_075552.jpg
IMG_20200321_094538.jpg
IMG_20200321_094523.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How do you find out if a OBT has molted? I am almost positive there is a molt within the webbing, but I am not keen on destroying the webbing to see. Plus I do not want to upset them, by poking about in there, partly because, they are not called OBT's for nothing. And partly because I hate destroying all of that hard work & possibly disturbing them close to a molt. Also that webbing is strong & I am not sure I will be able to remove a delicate molt from it, or not easily.

You'd probably find that the moult will be wrecked anyway. OBTs are well known for shredding their moults and decorating their burrows with bits. It will most likely roll what's left up with old food remains and throw it out in a month or 2.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
After having my first ever successful molt not long ago.
Today I lost adult A. Geniculata in my care due to a bad one.She got stuck with two back legs and despite the good advice I got from @Phil and my efforts she didn't manage to get through after almost 3 days.She was a rescue and not in the best condition to begin with and was sold to me 3 days ish before she molted.
Awful experience I never want to deal with again.You just feel so helpless.....
RIP poor little fella:(

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all
After having my first ever successful molt not long ago.
Today I lost adult A. Geniculata in my care due to a bad one.She got stuck with two back legs and despite the good advice I got from @Phil and my efforts she didn't manage to get through after almost 3 days.She was a rescue and not in the best condition to begin with and was sold to me 3 days ish before she molted.
Awful experience I never want to deal with again.You just feel so helpless.....
RIP poor little fella:(
You know I feel the loss in this one!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss @Konstantin :(
Fingers crossed for your other moult to go smoothly
both our loss unfortunately :(
@Konstantin was kindly getting the genic for me and he was keeping the tank for himself. So Inhave lost the chance of having my 7th female genic (as well as the cost of her). The seller has been reported now so hopefully there is improvement for the spiders left behind. Konstantin was a star trying everything possible but the damage was already done by the previous owners unfortunately.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
both our loss unfortunately :(
@Konstantin was kindly getting the genic for me and he was keeping the tank for himself. So Inhave lost the chance of having my 7th female genic (as well as the cost of her). The seller has been reported now so hopefully there is improvement for the spiders left behind. Konstantin was a star trying everything possible but the damage was already done by the previous owners unfortunately.
Thank you for your kind words im gutted the outcome was not different. The complainant is now escalated to formal and they will get in touch with the seller.
Will message any news on development of the case
Regards Konstantin

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I brought 2 H chilensis at the Bedford show last year, one is still around 0.5cm, the other now looks huge, at close to 1cm. I am sure it was normal size when I popped the dead mealworm in there yesterday.