• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White spots on abdomen of GBB!? Please help

Steve's Ts

I am a 20+ year tarantula keeper, and have a problem with my GBB. Under the urticating hairs on the abdomen are a bunch of little tiny white spots. I am worried about my girl. If anyone knows what this is, possibly mites I have no idea. None of my other Ts have this. HELP!
20220823_223547.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What species of roaches do you have, as with hissing roaches the mites are symbiotic & actually a positive. As they keep the roaches clean & stop us from getting an allergic reaction to them.

However, the issue with feeder colonies of roaches such as Dubia is less positive. But there are ways to naturally prevent & rid yourself of unwanted mites in roach colonies. The preventative methods include keeping humidity low. Increasing airflow & reducing locations for mites to survive. So clean your roach container regularly. And when mites do appear, wash your roaches in flour.

To wash roaches.

Place a good handful of flour into a kitchen bag. Place two hands full of roaches into the bag & shake to fully cover the roaches.
Empty roaches into a sieve & get rid of excess flour.
Place roaches in an empty container & repeat the above, at least once more.
The flour dries the roaches & gets rid of the mites.

Steve's Ts

What species of roaches do you have, as with hissing roaches the mites are symbiotic & actually a positive. As they keep the roaches clean & stop us from getting an allergic reaction to them.

However, the issue with feeder colonies of roaches such as Dubia is less positive. But there are ways to naturally prevent & rid yourself of unwanted mites in roach colonies. The preventative methods include keeping humidity low. Increasing airflow & reducing locations for mites to survive. So clean your roach container regularly. And when mites do appear, wash your roaches in flour.

To wash roaches.

Place a good handful of flour into a kitchen bag. Place two hands full of roaches into the bag & shake to fully cover the roaches.
Empty roaches into a sieve & get rid of excess flour.
Place roaches in an empty container & repeat the above, at least once more.
The flour dries the roaches & gets rid of the mites.
I use dubias, have for many years now. My dubia colony was infested with mites pretty bad. I got rid of those roaches and the infested crickets, cleaned everything thoroughly, and I hope that my gbb enclosure, all of my enclosures for that matter are mite free. Thanks for trying to help!

Steve's Ts

Mites are rarely an issue for tarantulas. Just breath. Do you see mites attached in the leg joints? Is your GBB wild caught?
No, I don't see them in the joints. I grew up my GBB from a tiny sling. Just noticed mites moving on my T's enclosure and a few moving on her abdomen. Then I looked at my roach bin and saw some mites. All my other Ts don't seem to have any in or around enclosures. Did a thorough cleaning of my dubias and crickets, and ordered new ones. Thanks for caring!

SullivanC

If you cant see the full body of her but worried if she has mites or not what I would try doing is putting her in a cup that is super clear transparent that you can see under her very clearly and if you dont see white stuff crawling around her body then she probably is safe from mites, someone suggested slicing cucumber around tarantula enclosures since cucumber has moisture that attracts mites and if you keep reapplying this method but with each time you apply you start seeing more less mites then its probably working

Steve's Ts

If you cant see the full body of her but worried if she has mites or not what I would try doing is putting her in a cup that is super clear transparent that you can see under her very clearly and if you dont see white stuff crawling around her body then she probably is safe from mites, someone suggested slicing cucumber around tarantula enclosures since cucumber has moisture that attracts mites and if you keep reapplying this method but with each time you apply you start seeing more less mites then its probably working
She was up on the side of enclosure so I could see her underside up close this morning, and I didn't see any mites in the joints or mouth parts where I know the congregate. My dubia and cricket colonies were both infested mildly. I got rid of those and cleaned up. All I can do is hope for the best.

SullivanC

She was up on the side of enclosure so I could see her underside up close this morning, and I didn't see any mites in the joints or mouth parts where I know the congregate. My dubia and cricket colonies were both infested mildly. I got rid of those and cleaned up. All I can do is hope for the best.
I hope everything goes back to normal my friend but do you sometimes see mites crawling on the cage?

Latest posts