• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which T’s should I keep

18ebolling

So I just started keeping but what I really want to keep eventually is Old worlds (pokies) I have a stripe knee and a pink toe . I heard P. Irminia is a good new world to get accustomed to old worlds ? Thanks In advance

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are right. Psalmopeus are arboreal, have the same stance and enclosure requirements as Pokies and are more speedy than your current collection. Their venom is potent, but not as medically significant as a Pokie. This was my starter species for Pokies as well. Good luck!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly Poecilotheria are probably better then Psalmopoeus for beginners. I do agree only on the grounds of venom effects..but barely. Psalmopoeus venom is extremely hot and extremely painful unlike all other new world spiders. Poecilotheria venom is the same but add rapid heart rate, long term cramping....ect. The major difference between the two (this is from on hands experience...I own 100s of each) is that Poecilotheria tend to run and hide avoiding confrontation as to Psalmopoeus will hold their ground and bite. Ive had Psalmopoeus actually hunt my hand down (through the glass)...they seam to have very good eyesight for a spider.
Honestly if you do your homework and start with a sling theres no reason you cant start with a pokie. Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli, smithi, regalis and metallica all are pretty laid back compared to the other species.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pseudoclamoris gigas (formerly Tapinauchenius gigas) is thought to be one of the fastest Ts around.
Definitely the fastest tarantula I've ever had...beautiful also.
20200817_171136.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but I have a related question. I am a beginner and happy with my avicularia for now but I would eventually like other aboreals, especially Psalmopeus and Pseudoclamoris. Regarding the speed and potential to bite, is it better to get a sling, juvenile or an adult as a first one?

I have watched quite a few videos of re-housings etc. The slings seem to move even faster than adults and I guess can get lost easier, yet their fangs are smaller so maybe the bite risk would be less severe until they grow?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but I have a related question. I am a beginner and happy with my avicularia for now but I would eventually like other aboreals, especially Psalmopeus and Pseudoclamoris. Regarding the speed and potential to bite, is it better to get a sling, juvenile or an adult as a first one?

I have watched quite a few videos of re-housings etc. The slings seem to move even faster than adults and I guess can get lost easier, yet their fangs are smaller so maybe the bite risk would be less severe until they grow?
Never get a T and worry about getting bitten as that should never happen anyway -
I think it looks like slings move quicker than adults but it's because they are smaller -
In my opinion get yourself a psalmopoeus iriminia or cambridgei sling as they are an excellent introduction to faster arboreals we have a lot of psalmopoeus and pseudoclamoris and we find the psalmopoeus want to run and hide if disturbed in their enclosure rather than run out or be defensive, they are always visible and on show the psalmopoeus iriminia is one of my absolute favourite species they are so gorgeous to look at :)

18ebolling

Honestly Poecilotheria are probably better then Psalmopoeus for beginners. I do agree only on the grounds of venom effects..but barely. Psalmopoeus venom is extremely hot and extremely painful unlike all other new world spiders. Poecilotheria venom is the same but add rapid heart rate, long term cramping....ect. The major difference between the two (this is from on hands experience...I own 100s of each) is that Poecilotheria tend to run and hide avoiding confrontation as to Psalmopoeus will hold their ground and bite. Ive had Psalmopoeus actually hunt my hand down (through the glass)...they seam to have very good eyesight for a spider.
Honestly if you do your homework and start with a sling theres no reason you cant start with a pokie. Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli, smithi, regalis and metallica all are pretty laid back compared to the other species.
I ended up getting a p irminia sling . I just saw your 1 year growth video and I’m amazed!

Pcancerides

3 Year Member
If Pokies are your favorite than that should have been your first spider. Pokies are no more difficult to keep than an LP. I've been keeping both along with the supposedly fierce Haitian Brown, OBT and haplopelmas for the past five plus years.

Latest posts