• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which are the best tarantula breeds for cross breeding?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Simple, hybridization is the muddying pure bloodlines.
I'll just elaborate on this, the second half of this sentence could read....
...which encourages wild collection to get pure stock.
This undoes a lot of the work done to provide the hobby with captive bred specimens, wild caught specimens become sought after and carry a big price tag which makes wild collection profitable again, probably more profitable than it was to begin with.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually, it gets worse then that. Take a place like say Florida or maybe the entire southern United States.

Releasing a hybrid into such a situation guarantees that you can have both hybrids and wild caught specimens at the same time!!

I say this in a bad way.

Of course it's always possible for Eco terrorist types to do this on purpose. They would probably just use Brazilian Wandering spiders or bullet ants but releasing a sac of OBTs or some accidental pokie hybrid that no one is willing to buy it's also possible.

Having said that, releasing the Wels catfish to catch all those pythons in the Everglades is at least a more magestic doomsday scenario.

Alohasnackbar95

Lmfao if you want to crossbreed anything go for it! Who cares what others think? People crossbreed all the time so now we cant do that? People crossbreed dogs all the time but hey nobody aborts the pups lmfao yall are stupid for acting like this. If its not your animals then stfu.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lmfao if you want to crossbreed anything go for it! Who cares what others think? People crossbreed all the time so now we cant do that? People crossbreed dogs all the time but hey nobody aborts the pups lmfao yall are stupid for acting like this. If its not your animals then stfu.

You are the sort of person that we don't need in the hobby. Many of these Ts are disappearing from the wild and its up to us to safeguard the true bloodlines of them for future generations to appreciate.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This is how you'd like to start your relationship with the members of this forum? Post number 1 calling people stupid and suggesting they stfu because you don't agree with or understand their POV? Not cool. Bad form.

Dogs are all the same species. Not the same thing.

Because you are ignorant of the harm done by hybridizing species, does not make the rest of us stupid.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are so many wild varieties and natural species that you'll never even own 1% of them all.

With that much diversity, there is no need to cross breed to get a color form or any other reason.

If you get bored with one species, try another. Besides there's no profit for hybrids because no one wants them. If you're serious about breeding, find a species for which there is a shortage and go for it.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
If you're serious about breeding, find a species for which there is a shortage and go for it.

Okay. Done!
IMG_5648.JPG

Geochelone platynota.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Just because people do it doesnt make it right. Hybridizing takes from the purity of the animal. It happens in the wild enough but that's nature and there is no stopping it. We however, as humans, have a responsibility to take care of our planet. That includes our eco system and everything in between. As your animal, you should respect it for what it is and not try to alter it in any way. Of course, opinions are always welcome and no question is a dumb question. That's how we help each other as a community. Communication. Research. It's nice to know you and i'm glad you chose to join this forum.....but i think i speak for all of us when i say we are not stupid. We are all quite intelligent in many areas of this hobby in our own way. We respect the animals we own....we even respect the animals that other people own. That's why we take hybridization so seriously. Leave mother nature as is. :) (this is my nice side, btw.....my angelic side....the halo is shining)....

Please don't make the horns show.

Solsurfer

Well . I have heard that inbreeding is not a big deal with tarantulas. I do not know the extent of this . Are the genetics variable enough to sustain captive breeding in the long run? Now with some poecilotheria species under protection and not legal to ship across state lines is there enough genetic variation within the state's themselves ? I am not saying that I ever would hybridize t's. I'm not an arachnologist and not an accomplished breeder by any means. I would leave it to wiser and more immersed individuals in the hobby to decide. Hypothetically if inbreeding did become a problem .could you hybridize one of the protected pokies with a non protected one rendering the offspring legal to ship across state lines? Again this is all hypothetical dont fire any angry word missiles at me haha.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well . I have heard that inbreeding is not a big deal with tarantulas. I do not know the extent of this . Are the genetics variable enough to sustain captive breeding in the long run? Now with some poecilotheria species under protection and not legal to ship across state lines is there enough genetic variation within the state's themselves ? I am not saying that I ever would hybridize t's. I'm not an arachnologist and not an accomplished breeder by any means. I would leave it to wiser and more immersed individuals in the hobby to decide. Hypothetically if inbreeding did become a problem .could you hybridize one of the protected pokies with a non protected one rendering the offspring legal to ship across state lines? Again this is all hypothetical dont fire any angry word missiles at me haha.

HERE COME THE MISSILES!!!

he he he..

Jk

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, the missles are heading our way..lmao..the truth of the matter is this: No fed agent would know the difference. None of them. Label the ("protected sp.") as a legal sp., and the law wouldn't know the difference. I shouldn't be like that, but long ago I realized most law enforcement are just doing what they're told, and could give a **** less about the little things..which is proper. The problem is cunts that choose to max out whatever authority they're given..they do exist. But they still won't know, and wouldn't prove a fkn thing in court..but it will cost you..
Look, everyone reading this, if you have a protected sp, then protect it by breeding and selling the slings everywhere you can, just label them"for the robots" as something else. Rules and laws are for ****tards with no sense or moral values. They aren't for you. Unless you're stupid enough to get caught. Then they become very significant;)