• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When life brings you a hornet nest…..

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Let it fully dry, make sure it is completely empty of all critters then apply a protective coat of varnish and let dry again.
Next step is Home Depot to grab some wood then all there is left to do is built a frame and attach.
Ready now for Enzo’s bedroom :)
90CF39DE-9EE7-4E2A-BB47-2D62A9DF2EF9.jpeg
73AB4CC1-D1DE-42BA-8BB8-9E02C6140437.jpeg
1E5C3C2C-7CC5-45A5-B547-6DC35FB76A24.jpeg

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Wow that's very decorative. I'm sure if you could get a strong enough LED it should be able to shine through the nest material from the inside depending on the thickness of the walls of the nest and make some sort of night light or just a cool display item? Idk but it looks cool just like you have it there.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, really cool looking. But it does give me the chills as most wasp nests I have dealt with were a lot smaller and wasps are not my favorite insects to begin with.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Ever heard of wasp keeping? I used to keep a few when I still kept ants back in good old days. It's quite simple in theory: take a queen with a nest(the nest should be about the same size as the wasp itself) then stick it to the top of the enclosure of your choice. Provide wood, green leaves and cardboard for nesting materials and add food (both in protein(insects(they love caterpillars))and sugar (honey or sugar water)form) as well as clean water in a bottle cap or other water dishes. This all sounds simple but I never had success with them.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow that's very decorative. I'm sure if you could get a strong enough LED it should be able to shine through the nest material from the inside depending on the thickness of the walls of the nest and make some sort of night light or just a cool display item? Idk but it looks cool just like you have it there.
Exactly what I was thinking about ;)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, really cool looking. But it does give me the chills as most wasp nests I have dealt with were a lot smaller and wasps are not my favorite insects to begin with.
These are the big ones, hornets. It is a bout the size of a football (US).

Latest posts