• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When is it time

rénee

3 Year Member
Since I found out and experienced coco husk for myself I wanted to switch, but having my G.Rosea in pre-molt I figured I would wait till she is done. Coming this Saturday it will now have been 2 weeks since she molted, I'm just wondering when is it alright to rehouse her, I havnt bothered dropping in food yet. She looks like she is still tired from the molt, she still lays flat out legs sprawled at times, I don't want to go disturbing her if she is not fully ready.

I'm thinking I will drop a cricket in within the next week and if she eats it then I can rehouse her, if not then I will wait till she does eat? Is there any other kind of "indications" that you can look for that shows that she is recovered(I don't really want to say that word, but I'm not sure how else to describe it lol). I know you got to wait till the exoskeleton forms, but honestly not sure what that really would look like since this is her first molt with me :)

Thanks guys, I know its a ridiculous question

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I would feed her today since its been 2 weeks and rehouse her after she eats a couple crickets... like a day after she has eaten

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually their fangs get nice and dark as they harden hun,
that's the only real indicator I know of, but I'm fairly noobish about a lot of the finer details yet ^^
Seems like 2 weeks is enough for smaller T's though. :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with all above. once the fangs are black and it eats it can be rehoused. I'd feed it small then feed it again after it settles a bit in the new home. That has seemed to help mine adjust faster and they're not as skittish after they eat. At least mine aren't ;)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep, two whole weeks works for adult Ts, but for slings to juvies, a weeks is pretty much enough as I myself can't wait that long to drop something in there! :p

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Since I found out and experienced coco husk for myself I wanted to switch, but having my G.Rosea in pre-molt I figured I would wait till she is done. Coming this Saturday it will now have been 2 weeks since she molted, I'm just wondering when is it alright to rehouse her, I havnt bothered dropping in food yet. She looks like she is still tired from the molt, she still lays flat out legs sprawled at times, I don't want to go disturbing her if she is not fully ready.

I'm thinking I will drop a cricket in within the next week and if she eats it then I can rehouse her, if not then I will wait till she does eat? Is there any other kind of "indications" that you can look for that shows that she is recovered(I don't really want to say that word, but I'm not sure how else to describe it lol). I know you got to wait till the exoskeleton forms, but honestly not sure what that really would look like since this is her first molt with me :)

Thanks guys, I know its a ridiculous question
2 weeks is fine. Get a cricket, place it in front of her, so she can track it's movement. She will snag it right up and eat. They fast for long periods, and when they finally eat, it's voracious. U can then give her another cricket the day after the first. U should feed her before the rehousing tho, because a rehousing will lead to more time for her to settle in, when she needs to eat first.

rénee

3 Year Member
Alright thanks everyone, I just picked up my crickets today so I'll be trying to feed her tonight, see if she will go for it. If I have to wait a bit for the rehouse then that's ok with me :)

rénee

3 Year Member
Lmao well as you can see I'm posting like 15 minutes later, she went for the kill pretty quickly. Quick girl she is :T:

Attachments

• 20160115_200014.jpg
    20160115_200014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

rénee

3 Year Member
There u go. See? This is the kind of stuff u remember, and u add to ur knowledge Rolodex. It's how we learn about future things that come up. The best teacher is hands on
Precisely. I actually keep a calender now and write down when I fed, what I fed, when they molted, any rehousing or new items I added or taken out of enclosures lol. A journal as I should call it :p

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Precisely. I actually keep a calender now and write down when I fed, what I fed, when they molted, any rehousing or new items I added or taken out of enclosures lol. A journal as I should call it :p
Yup. Me too. I have date received, molt dates, feedings after molts, and special traits for each T I have. It's nice to keep that info, to help learn, keep track of each T's history, and each T's wants and needs

Latest posts