• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When does record keeping become obsessive?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have always kept detailed records for all my spiders I have ever had and use excel for my main file as I can manipulate data, create charts and pivot tables etc and search easily (I use excel every day in work).

I was wondering to what extent others track records?

Here is an example of some of the summary data produced based on my current spider count (picture at the bottom).

Please share how you keep records and your experiences.... if anyone wants a blank version of my excel spreadsheet to use, just pm me with your email address and I will send you it :)

Please note I use Excel 2016.

image003.png

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is nothing wrong with keeping records, after all it is what made Florence Nightingale so very good at what she did. And as many a bus restorer has found out, bus spotters are not just the butt of jokes, they are also invaluable sources of a buses full work history.

Edited to add, we keep a diary of molts & I have an app on my phone where I l keep a record of what I have brought, from where & when. Plus I should keep it's molt history too, plus a few other details, but I don't.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think @Enn49 keeps the most extensive records on all her Ts.. Even keeping and cataloguing all their moults throughout every tarantulas lifetime... I wish I was as organised :)

timc

3 Year Member
I...try to remember when the last ate or molted lol. I would never look at records again so I don’t keep them, though I have tried in the past.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with keeping records, after all it is what made Florence Nightingale so very good at what she did. And as many a bus restorer has found out, bus spotters are not just the butt of jokes, they are also invaluable sources of a buses full work history.

Edited to add, we keep a diary of molts & I have an app on my phone where I l keep a record of what I have brought, from where & when. Plus I should keep it's molt history too, plus a few other details, but I don't.
I have the same app but keeping track of 246 currently and many more previously, I just found that particular app too time consuming.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think @Enn49 keeps the most extensive records on all her Ts.. Even keeping and cataloguing all their moults throughout every tarantulas lifetime... I wish I was as organised :)

I think @Phil puts me to shame with his spread sheets.
I only have a Word Doc for each T recording date received, where purchased, what instar and moult dates. I also have feed sheets with food size but nothing any fancier.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
About the most extensive thing I do is keeping melts to track their life. But I have a very small collection so it isn't much hassle. Hats off to the record keepers! I couldn't do it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That’s cool, @Phil, I keep track of when I feed, water or when they shed....I use Airtable. Don’t have those fancy graphics LOL
You can convert to google sheets as well if needed. retains the tables and charts but I find it harder to work with so just have converted file for ease of access on my phone.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have always kept detailed records for all my spiders I have ever had and use excel for my main file as I can manipulate data, create charts and pivot tables etc and search easily (I use excel every day in work).

I was wondering to what extent others track records?

Here is an example of some of the summary data produced based on my current spider count (picture at the bottom).

Please share how you keep records and your experiences.... if anyone wants a blank version of my excel spreadsheet to use, just pm me with your email address and I will send you it :)

Please note I use Excel 2016.

View attachment 49386
And you say I'm OCD.... :D :D :D

shaun

3 Year Member
I only have 10 T's.
I make a note of molts in my phone diary so that I know who to miss out on feed day.
Not sure what else to make a note of.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only have 10 T's.
I make a note of molts in my phone diary so that I know who to miss out on feed day.
Not sure what else to make a note of.
OW vs NW
Terrestrial vs Arboreal
cost
where purchased
substrate changes
moult dates
pairing info
etc etc ha ha
Like the title suggests, when does it get too much? PMSL :D :D :D

Latest posts