• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's my baby doing video?

Noodlelove

Sorry the first one I posted was a picture. I've never seen him do this before. It looks really cute but I don't know what's going on. Hubby thought he might be eating but I don't think so. New to this. Any help appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230711_045722424.TS.mp4
    18.8 MB

Jeef

3 Year Member
I'll second not seeing the video.

Based on what your husband said: "Hubby thought he might be eating" I'm going to guess it was grooming itself. I love the looks people give me when I tell them tarantulas groom themselves like a cat.

If you search "tarantula grooming" or even "T. albopolosus grooming" you'll turn up videos of it.

Salatia

Those movements I see either when they're bundling up their leftovers/rubbish - but usually not long after eating - based just on the chelcirae movements and palps. Otherwise, the rest of the time it's grooming behaviour. Easier to spot on the arboreals, but with the terrestrial Ts you can sometimes notice a leg at a bizarre seeming angle, and then you realise their foot is basically in their mouth. Very similar to cat grooming in appearance.

Noodlelove

I'll second not seeing the video.

Based on what your husband said: "Hubby thought he might be eating" I'm going to guess it was grooming itself. I love the looks people give me when I tell them tarantulas groom themselves like a cat.

If you search "tarantula grooming" or even "T. albopolosus grooming" you'll turn up videos of it.
He was grooming himself and I never saw any spider do that before and it looked so cute and there is a video I knew the first one was just a picture but I posted the video of it. It was absolutely adorable! Thank you

Noodlelove

Those movements I see either when they're bundling up their leftovers/rubbish - but usually not long after eating - based just on the chelcirae movements and palps. Otherwise, the rest of the time it's grooming behaviour. Easier to spot on the arboreals, but with the terrestrial Ts you can sometimes notice a leg at a bizarre seeming angle, and then you realise their foot is basically in their mouth. Very similar to cat grooming in appearance.
I love that the older he gets. I get to see him out more and doing things. Thank you so much for the very great help! Because I'm such a newbie still he's one of my first two slings I've raised