• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's a good hygrometer/thermometer combo

DreadedNeith

I'd just like to know what you use for a hygrometer/ thermometer in your enclosures. I've been looking on Amazon and it would seem that every available one is junk. They all seem to break after a few days and/or are not accurate.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of them are pretty useless. Basically if you are comfortable sitting in the room where your Ts are they'll be fine and a full water bowl, maybe over filled occasionally, will keep the humidity right :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely none, moisture in the substrate is more important than the humidity in the air. Room temperature is perfectly fine for most if not all.

Last edited:

DreadedNeith

Most of them are pretty useless. Basically if you are comfortable sitting in the room where your Ts are they'll be fine and a full water bowl, maybe over filled occasionally, will keep the humidity right :)
That's the issue. I'm so used to being in a.c. all day that to me 70°f is super hot. I can't tell if the room is too hot or... also I can't find good info on curly hair husbandry. Some say they like their enclosure humid and others say keep it dry. I've been keeping it on the dry side and misting one corner of the enclosure when the substrate is completely dry.

DreadedNeith

Also, when I got my curly hair she was always out and then after having her for about 2 weeks she burrowed and never comes out. She isn't molting. If I drop some food near the opening of her burrow she comes and grabs it. Other than that's she stays in one corner of her burrow and never moves or comes out like she used to. Not sure if she just got comfortable or if it's the opposite and she is stressed for some reason. Most everyone I've talked to said their curly was very active. I got her from a small pet shop. I wasn't going to but when I went in to get some fish I saw her and the pet shop employee said they had her for a while. She also didn't have enough substrate to burrow in so I felt bad for her and took her home. Maybe she's just happy to be able to burrow now?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's the issue. I'm so used to being in a.c. all day that to me 70°f is super hot. I can't tell if the room is too hot or... also I can't find good info on curly hair husbandry. Some say they like their enclosure humid and others say keep it dry. I've been keeping it on the dry side and misting one corner of the enclosure when the substrate is completely dry.
Also, when I got my curly hair she was always out and then after having her for about 2 weeks she burrowed and never comes out. She isn't molting. If I drop some food near the opening of her burrow she comes and grabs it. Other than that's she stays in one corner of her burrow and never moves or comes out like she used to. Not sure if she just got comfortable or if it's the opposite and she is stressed for some reason. Most everyone I've talked to said their curly was very active. I got her from a small pet shop. I wasn't going to but when I went in to get some fish I saw her and the pet shop employee said they had her for a while. She also didn't have enough substrate to burrow in so I felt bad for her and took her home. Maybe she's just happy to be able to burrow now?

Temperatures in my room get as low as 64f at night in winter and have recently been as high as 88f due to our heatwave and all my Ts are fine with it..
A curly hair likes dry substrate as long as it has a water bowl available.
The chances are she is still settling in to her new home, it can take the a while, but I'm sure she'll emerge when she's ready. My adult female retreated into a burrow under her cork bark after I rehoused her and it was a good 2-3 months before she reappeared but now she is out and about most of the time

DreadedNeith

Temperatures in my room get as low as 64f at night in winter and have recently been as high as 88f due to our heatwave and all my Ts are fine with it..
A curly hair likes dry substrate as long as it has a water bowl available.
The chances are she is still settling in to her new home, it can take the a while, but I'm sure she'll emerge when she's ready. My adult female retreated into a burrow under her cork bark after I rehoused her and it was a good 2-3 months before she reappeared but now she is out and about most of the time
Cool thanks so much for the info.
I have mine in their own room. I can't keep them in my room. My room gets cold enough to freeze a glass of water on my nightstand in winter and runs about 55°f in summer. I'm guessing my spiders room is between 70-80°f. Thanks for helping me relax a bit. You've been in the hobby for quite a while. What's your thoughts on top soil and growing live plants in the enclosure? I wanted to do a huge 200 gallon vivarium with a pond in it with fish, and maybe some other insects. What soil is best and springtails would be a must in that type of enclosure right?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have mine in their own room. I can't keep them in my room. My room gets cold enough to freeze a glass of water on my nightstand in winter and runs about 55°f in summer. I'm guessing my spiders room is between 70-80°f. Thanks for helping me relax a bit. You've been in the hobby for quite a while. What's your thoughts on top soil and growing live plants in the enclosure? I wanted to do a huge 200 gallon vivarium with a pond in it with fish, and maybe some other insects. What soil is best and springtails would be a must in that type of enclosure right?

I've never used topsoil or grown live plants in a T enclosure so you may be better speaking to @Arachnoclown or @MassExodus

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never used live plants either. Maybe eventually.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use soil and plants in all my terrariums. Since many years. If the plants are doing good the spiders feel good as well. Some of my tarantulas are older than 15 years and I raised them from the age of “eggs with legs”.

DreadedNeith

I use soil and plants in all my terrariums. Since many years. If the plants are doing good the spiders feel good as well. Some of my tarantulas are older than 15 years and I raised them from the age of “eggs with legs”.
What brand of soil did you use and what plant species? Also, did you have any problems with mites or mold? Did you use springtails and/Or wood lice to combat mite problems?

Tschorm

I have a question for substrate, bought a 20L bag with terraria soil from the lokal shop, but its really damp it would take forever to dry naturlly to a okay level to use it in the enclosures, was thinking off putting it on a plate and shove it in the oven for a while at around 120 degree celsius...my only other idear would be to get a big plane and try to lay it out (but my home is not the biggest) or maybe put the bag on the window board.
Thanks in Advance!

Tschorm

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a question for substrate, bought a 20L bag with terraria soil from the lokal shop, but its really damp it would take forever to dry naturlly to a okay level to use it in the enclosures, was thinking off putting it on a plate and shove it in the oven for a while at around 120 degree celsius...my only other idear would be to get a big plane and try to lay it out (but my home is not the biggest) or maybe put the bag on the window board.
Thanks in Advance!

Tschorm
yes you can put it in the oven at a low temperature to dry it out quicker-that's what I do with my substrate:)
or like you say lay it out on something where it can dry out naturally but that will take longer so the choice is yours?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What brand of soil did you use and what plant species? Also, did you have any problems with mites or mold? Did you use springtails and/Or wood lice to combat mite problems?
I am using soil with no added fertilizer. Have to check the brand. Always buy my soil at Lowe’s. I have springtails sometime. No mold or mites. The plants I use are small fern and different kind of Ficus pumila. There are a lot of plants that grow well in a terrarium.

Here a picture of an enclosure for my Chilobrachys andersoni:

upload_2019-8-2_15-37-22.jpeg

Latest posts