• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What type is this T?

Sbirtell1

I saw it on Pinterest and couldn’t find an answer to the type in the comments? Anyone know what T this is? Thank you in advance! -Sarah

Attachments

• EE7B0313-4B08-4F5F-9A45-17F4369C9072.png
    EE7B0313-4B08-4F5F-9A45-17F4369C9072.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 23
  • BE85B5D2-3483-492A-A874-935FF9D85862.png
    BE85B5D2-3483-492A-A874-935FF9D85862.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 30E90A33-CEE8-41AE-AD41-12FC01562988.png
    30E90A33-CEE8-41AE-AD41-12FC01562988.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 24

tarantulas118

if I’m not mistaken, that looks to be like a monecentropus balfouri, the socotra island blue baboon. It is one of the most docile Old World tarantula, the easiest to breed tarantula, and the most social and communal tarantula! Really one of the greatest tarantulas of all time with their stunning colors and unusual social behavior

Sbirtell1

if I’m not mistaken, that looks to be like a monecentropus balfouri, the socotra island blue baboon. It is one of the most docile Old World tarantula, the easiest to breed tarantula, and the most social and communal tarantula! Really one of the greatest tarantulas of all time with their stunning colors and unusual social behavior
I have been obsessed with it ever since I saw this video! I was trying to google it & had NO LUCK finding a name. So then I said, why don’t I ask you guys?!! Thank you so much!!! I’m assuming they’re easy to care for, or should I say easier to care for than most T’s? Are they hard to find? Also, what are their price range?

tarantulas118

I have been obsessed with it ever since I saw this video! I was trying to google it & had NO LUCK finding a name. So then I said, why don’t I ask you guys?!! Thank you so much!!! I’m assuming they’re easy to care for, or should I say easier to care for than most T’s? Are they hard to find? Also, what are their price range?
I haven’t taken care of these myself buuuttt, although they are easier to care for than other old worlds they are still an intermediate level tarantula , they aren’t hard to find at all since they’re literally the easiest tarantula to breEd ever! The price is different everywhere but you can expect to pay anything from 60 to 150 dollars for one. If you have experience with other old worlds or have experience with keeping other tarantulas for awhile than I would go for it and buy one, but if your still a beginner it’s best to wait awhile. They do have some fairly strong venom though. But anyway they are a really cool species and the best communal tarantula

Sbirtell1

I haven’t taken care of these myself buuuttt, although they are easier to care for than other old worlds they are still an intermediate level tarantula , they aren’t hard to find at all since they’re literally the easiest tarantula to breEd ever! The price is different everywhere but you can expect to pay anything from 60 to 150 dollars for one. If you have experience with other old worlds or have experience with keeping other tarantulas for awhile than I would go for it and buy one, but if your still a beginner it’s best to wait awhile. They do have some fairly strong venom though. But anyway they are a really cool species and the best communal tarantula

How long do you think I should wait? 2-3 years? 4-5? Yes I’m fairly new and want what’s best for my children. I currently have 2 T’s right now that are thriving. One I got a little over a year ago, the second was shortly after. So that’s a plus!

tarantulas118

How long do you think I should wait? 2-3 years? 4-5? Yes I’m fairly new and want what’s best for my children. I currently have 2 T’s right now that are thriving. One I got a little over a year ago, the second was shortly after. So that’s a plus!
what kind of T’S do you have, how old are the children. And how good would you say is your husbandry. If both your T’S are beginner I would suggest before Moving on to this get something that will prepare you, such as A. Geniculata or something that’s a little bit faster and bolder than yours, that way, you will know if your ready to take on old worlds

Sbirtell1

what kind of T’S do you have, how old are the children. And how good would you say is your husbandry. If both your T’S are beginner I would suggest before Moving on to this get something that will prepare you, such as A. Geniculata or something that’s a little bit faster and bolder than yours, that way, you will know if your ready to take on old worlds
I’m not sure the age. I was told a few months, but you guys on here told me 3-4 years. I have a female grammostola pulchra (Lilith) and an unknown sex Davus pentaloris (Yahweh - I’ve been calling her a her though).

Both have dry coconut fiber substrate, ambient temp is 75-78 degrees year round. They borrow on occasion or hide in their wood hides most of the time. The water bowl area is usually moist and wet on the opposite side of the enclosure. Both have gone through 2 molts with me in the last year. I had to slim them down because I was over feeding them Lilith was originally brown but transitioned to black this year. Both have grown in size 1-2x bigger than when I first got them.

Attachments

• 28F1C10D-1671-4D6E-BFB3-54DA682B252F.jpeg
    28F1C10D-1671-4D6E-BFB3-54DA682B252F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 76C5BB82-B61E-4BD6-90CB-A1969F17E0BC.jpeg
    76C5BB82-B61E-4BD6-90CB-A1969F17E0BC.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 9CBEE02C-D961-4D66-AE29-C990C9C1C113.jpeg
    9CBEE02C-D961-4D66-AE29-C990C9C1C113.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
  • C5B3E8AA-4AB4-46D1-8DC1-F467223EE0DF.jpeg
    C5B3E8AA-4AB4-46D1-8DC1-F467223EE0DF.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 11
  • E7C162B1-268D-41AD-8F3F-FAE11E107102.jpeg
    E7C162B1-268D-41AD-8F3F-FAE11E107102.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 12

tarantulas118

I’m not sure the age. I was told a few months, but you guys on here told me 3-4 years. I have a female grammostola pulchra (Lilith) and an unknown sex Davus pentaloris (Yahweh - I’ve been calling her a her though).

Both have dry coconut fiber substrate, ambient temp is 75-78 degrees year round. They borrow on occasion or hide in their wood hides most of the time. The water bowl area is usually moist and wet on the opposite side of the enclosure. Both have gone through 2 molts with me in the last year. I had to slim them down because I was over feeding them Lilith was originally brown but transitioned to black this year. Both have grown in size 1-2x bigger than when I first got them.
Ok ok, i would suggest getting a species that will prepare you for an old world. Your husbandry is pretty good although I would suggest making sure your hides have only one open end. Looks like you have som experience with molting and all that. I will make a list for some tarantulas that can prepare you for that one later. Also, I was asking for the age of your children since this is an old world tarantula. Alrighty then, get an intermediate new world to prepare you, have that one for awhile (1 year maybe) and then, if your fully confident, I think you will be able to keep one of these

Sbirtell1

Ok ok, i would suggest getting a species that will prepare you for an old world. Your husbandry is pretty good although I would suggest making sure your hides have only one open end. Looks like you have som experience with molting and all that. I will make a list for some tarantulas that can prepare you for that one later. Also, I was asking for the age of your children since this is an old world tarantula. Alrighty then, get an intermediate new world to prepare you, have that one for awhile (1 year maybe) and then, if your fully confident, I think you will be able to keep one of these
Thank you! The half logs are pressed against the glass with one entrance? Lilith likes the half log she’s always in. But I do find her hanging out in both that and the log that’s opened on both ends. And Yahweh likes the big long log that has 2 openings. She’s webbed everything on the inside. It’s very hard to see unless you shine a light in there. She’s never been in the half log that I’ve seen. I know both are out at night because the next morning there is dirt in their water bowls. I know Lilith is ready to molt when she starts webbing the entrance of the half log.

Attachments

• C9804BF5-04EF-40C7-899C-33009582FC6B.jpeg
    C9804BF5-04EF-40C7-899C-33009582FC6B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

tarantulas118

All right here is my list: so these are more faster,bolder, and a little bit more defensive but these will prepare you for an old world like the M. Balfouri. All of these are new world tarantulas

1. E. Murinus/skeleton tarantula
2. any of the pamphobeteus species although they grow a little big
3. Xenesthis immanis/columbian lesserback
4. Pterinopelma sazimai/Brazilian blue
5. Tlitocatl vagans/red rump tarantula
6. Davus sp. Panama / lava spider
7. grammastola ihrengi/ entre rios tarantula
8. Theraphosa stirmi/burgundy Goliath birdeater
9. psalmopoeus irminia/Venezuelan suntiger
10. Nhandu chromatus or tripepii

theres more I’ll make a bigger list later

Sbirtell1

All right here is my list: so these are more faster,bolder, and a little bit more defensive but these will prepare you for an old world like the M. Balfouri. All of these are new world tarantulas

1. E. Murinus/skeleton tarantula
2. any of the pamphobeteus species although they grow a little big
3. Xenesthis immanis/columbian lesserback
4. Pterinopelma sazimai/Brazilian blue
5. Tlitocatl vagans/red rump tarantula
6. Davus sp. Panama / lava spider
7. grammastola ihrengi/ entre rios tarantula
8. Theraphosa stirmi/burgundy Goliath birdeater
9. psalmopoeus irminia/Venezuelan suntiger
10. Nhandu chromatus or tripepii

theres more I’ll make a bigger list later
Thank you so much!!!