• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What trait do you like most in a tarantula?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We all know Ts have their own personalities and behaviours so I wondered what makes you fall in love with a particular T
Is it colour, the way it constructs its home, attitude or something else?

One T that I fell in love with, although I said I'd never buy one, when I got it as a freebie is the Tliltocatl albopilosum. It immediately burrowed to the bottom of the vial and when I shone a torch in it would come to the side where I could see it and almost wave at me. That was it I was hooked.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a great question!

My first T, a G. pulchripes female I bough at 1.5 inches has just amazed me as a sling and Juvie. From her stalking prey from underneath it from her hide, to later upending her hide and digging down bottoms up when I believed I had sufficiently killed a super worm only to find that I had been duped.

One time I rehoused her and left a red light on and caught her walking on the top which was acrylic and full of air holes.

She is an adult now or close to it and more laid back. But still a joy.

And in general when T’s are “creative” in redecorating their homes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like them feisty.....
20220601_160302.gif

Silvicen

I find it adorable when my smaller ones throw up threat postures. I'm a sucker for pretty spiders and spiders with great feeding responses. One of my favorites is one of my X. intermedia that has a cheeky personality but is very easily managed.

Hagraven

Today I rehoused my adult Chilobrachys Huahini and was reminded how special it is to have a relationship with, however alien, an animal that has a wholly unique perspective to that of a cat or dog. I really appreciate the life lessons offered- it feels like taking a kind of mushrooms and re-wiring my brain! ♡

Tarino Palma

This is a great question, but kinda hard to narrow down to just one thing, so here’s two… I love an intricate web with some excavation. My Chilobrachys sp Kaeng krachen piled dirt from inside a starter burrow in the middle of the enclosure - made a mountain out of dirt touching the top of the enclosure with a web tunnel going right around it - she sits in her hide inside the mountain that faces outward. When I look inside her enclosure, all I see are her eyes and her silhouette. The second thing that makes me fall hard is a chilled out, slow moving T. When I feed my avics, I get a leg tap on the prey “oh? Is this for me?” Followed by a gentle takedown. It’s really sweet.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like a bit of character, be that temperamentally or curiosity. The only T's I have named are characters. I have Felicity (Flick) my stirmi & Hohokam my A chalcodes who could dig desert watering irrigation ditches all by herself & who if accidentally touched smacks the plants.

Noodlelove

We all know Ts have their own personalities and behaviours so I wondered what makes you fall in love with a particular T
Is it colour, the way it constructs its home, attitude or something else?

One T that I fell in love with, although I said I'd never buy one, when I got it as a freebie is the Tliltocatl albopilosum. It immediately burrowed to the bottom of the vial and when I shone a torch in it would come to the side where I could see it and almost wave at me. That was it I was hooked.
I have the same kind of a T. Albopilosum. His burrowing makes me so happy. I really like the way that terrestrials build it's just amazing to see the homes they can make from the leaf litter and the tunnels it's so cool. Besides the adorable Factor they're so cute.

Lemon

This thread is a little old but I'd like to add something XD Honestly my favorite thing in a T is curiosity, I absolutely adore T's that come out when they know the lid is opened, this is why I had wanted an C. Versicolor for so long cause I've heard they are quite cheeky!

Noodlelove

This thread is a little old but I'd like to add something XD Honestly my favorite thing in a T is curiosity, I absolutely adore T's that come out when they know the lid is opened, this is why I had wanted an C. Versicolor for so long cause I've heard they are quite cheeky!
Their tiny cute Mr Magoo eyes make them so adorable

Reptisect

3 Year Member
I was told that P. irminia are something that you rarely ever see out and about. Then I got my irminia. She is the complete opposite. She spends 80% of her time sitting out in the open and wandering around her enclosure. And if she does hide, well, she has the most hilarious response to the vibrations of my voice. So if she's hiding and I want to show her off, I just call her and she comes running.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I like colourful Ts at moment I like my Harpactira pulchripes ,the colours are amazing .But also like non colourful ts like my pamphobeteus platyomma she large and when she was younger the way she use to pounces on prey .Its like being in sweet shop really new sweet new flavour ,