• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do/not do when I bring home my first T

ALD

3 Year Member
Two weeks from today I am getting my first T ever and my first GBB. I'm excited and nervous. I am collecting supplies I'll need, I have done so much reading and asking questions- I'm sure it will be fine. I just wanted to ask you all - what is something you wish you knew or had in your supplies list before you got your first one? What should I do when I bring him/her home? Do I wait a while to feed or feed right away? Let me hear it. Thanks!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sling, juvie or adult? Slings and juvies will sometimes eat right away, sometimes they take a week or so to acclimate to their new home and start webbing, digging or getting comfortable in a new enclosure. Give it cover, a hide, a water dish and a quiet, warm room to live in, and it will usually settle in and start eating pretty quickly. No need to stress, just enjoy your new spider! And there's only one thing I wished for, and didn't have till later. A very small set of fine, long jawed tweezers for grabbing roach legs. It makes it much easier to feed, especially grabbing red runners out of the feeding cup without harming them.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Just make sure you have everything ready in advance. Get your enclosure set up before you get it, so you can get it into its new home as soon as possible. Make sure you know a rough size of the animal your getting so it's as comfortable as possible in it's new home. After you have the appropriate size enclosure. Get your substrate ready, I just use ecoearth coconut fiber in the bag with a little sphagnum moss mixed in. Make sure you have a hide and full water dish. Any extra decore is up to you but I'd recommend adding a few plants or something, gbb like to web and the more stuff there is around the more they like to web it up, just nothing sharp or with jagged edges of course. Be some what cautious when getting it out, smaller gbbs are quite fast, I underestimated mine when it was a small juvenile and I ended up chasing it around my living room for a half hour:D So make sure you have a catch cup handy. I'd give it a day or so to settle in before feeding, but other than that you should be good to go. Great choice for your first T, enjoy!

ALD

3 Year Member
Just make sure you have everything ready in advance. Get your enclosure set up before you get it, so you can get it into its new home as soon as possible. Make sure you know a rough size of the animal your getting so it's as comfortable as possible in it's new home. After you have the appropriate size enclosure. Get your substrate ready, I just use ecoearth coconut fiber in the bag with a little sphagnum moss mixed in. Make sure you have a hide and full water dish. Any extra decore is up to you but I'd recommend adding a few plants or something, gbb like to web and the more stuff there is around the more they like to web it up, just nothing sharp or with jagged edges of course. Be some what cautious when getting it out, smaller gbbs are quite fast, I underestimated mine when it was a small juvenile and I ended up chasing it around my living room for a half hour:D So make sure you have a catch cup handy. I'd give it a day or so to settle in before feeding, but other than that you should be good to go. Great choice for your first T, enjoy!
Thank you :)

Seriously, I'm probably over thinking it.
I understand they can be quick- so I will take my time and probably do the transfer inside of another bin.
Just to be extra careful. I just didn't know how long they need to destress. I am content letting them sit for a few days or
a week if needed before being fed- if offering food could stress them.
I know they are okay for a while without food- so I guess I won't freak out if I offer and they won't take it.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Thank you :)

Seriously, I'm probably over thinking it.
I understand they can be quick- so I will take my time and probably do the transfer inside of another bin.
Just to be extra careful. I just didn't know how long they need to destress. I am content letting them sit for a few days or
a week if needed before being fed- if offering food could stress them.
I know they are okay for a while without food- so I guess I won't freak out if I offer and they won't take it.
Your welcome.
You'll be fine, that's a good strategy to transfer within another bin. As for feeding, don't stress yourself with it. I've had Ts settle in day one and was able to feed them right away, but I'd still wait a day before offering anything. If you notice it's webbed at all, then that's a good sign it's settling down.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My best advice is "Don't Panic". I always find the ones that I stress most about before a rehouse usually end up being the easiest.
I always do mine inside a larger box and recently I've got into the habit of spreading a light coloured sheet under it. One other tip is make sure the T can't get up inside your sleeves in case it runs up your arm.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My best advice is "Don't Panic". I always find the ones that I stress most about before a rehouse usually end up being the easiest.
I always do mine inside a larger box and recently I've got into the habit of spreading a light coloured sheet under it. One other tip is make sure the T can't get up inside your sleeves in case it runs up your arm.
Follow the instructions enn gave and everything will go smoothly. As i follow the same method for the most part.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If your gonna use rehydrated substrate I'd do it now because gbb's require dry substrate. You can also cut some water bottles and pop bottles into catch cups with holes drilled in them for prodding the Ts out. A small stick or paint brush is useful. Heres a video of a couple of the most problematic Ts in the hobby being transferred. I've used this same method with all Ts...even 8-9" pokies. Never lost a T or had a problem in 35 years...its really simple. All Ts no matter how big run to the top of the catch cup. Even 10" goliaths....

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If your gonna use rehydrated substrate I'd do it now because gbb's require dry substrate. You can also cut some water bottles and pop bottles into catch cups with holes drilled in them for prodding the Ts out. A small stick or paint brush is useful. Heres a video of a couple of the most problematic Ts in the hobby being transferred. I've used this same method with all Ts...even 8-9" pokies. Never lost a T or had a problem in 35 years...its really simple. All Ts no matter how big run to the top of the catch cup. Even 10" goliaths....
I got an OBT coming next week. I plan to use this exact method. Thanks again Arachnoclown.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got an OBT coming next week. I plan to use this exact method. Thanks again Arachnoclown.
No problem Bro...Im lazy so I like to do things the easiest way possible...hehehe. :D I also made a square one from a Iced Tea plastic bottle that works good in corners. I even have a tiny 6oz. One I use for tiny slings.;)

Latest posts