• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What species is this T?

pokie99

3 Year Member
Hello,
Could anyone help me identify my L8 female tarantula? I bought it as a Tapinauchenius cupreus but is isn't that species. It's a NW because it has urticaring hairs and it's an arboreal.

Attachments

• WP_20150110_19_52_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150110_19_52_48_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • WP_20150114_18_18_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150114_18_18_30_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • WP_20150114_18_24_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150114_18_24_18_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

pokie99

3 Year Member
I know it's not. I bought it when it was still very small and then I didn't look at it very much. I fed it but didn't pay much attention to its appearance. I noticed it was not a tappi but didn't have much time to check the species. It really looks like a coremiocnemis sp. but I red that this genus is an OW while mine has urticaring hairs. Is it possible for an OW to have urticaring hairs? If this is really a coremiocnemis sp, then how strong is their venom for OWs and how common are these Ts in the hobby? Mine is bread in the Czech Republic (spidy.goliathus.com). I'm going to investigate what species they sell. Any info about the genus will be great. Thank you very much for the quick replies!!!

tcrave

3 Year Member
by the pics it looks to me like ow. as slings the hair on the abdomen are longer which sometimes may give the appearance of urticating hairs.

pokie99

3 Year Member
I checked for this genus in the site and found two species. One of them looks very similar to mine. Do these Ts have very strong venom (ex.: in comparison to the OBT)? Thanks for the reply!

tcrave

3 Year Member
from reference that I seen all OW have a more stronger venom than NW, but I am unsure of how much. i would just treat it with respect.

pokie99

3 Year Member
Thank you for the reply! The one thing that puzzles me the most is that it can flip hairs. Can OW slings flip their longer hairs?
P.S. Sorry about the mistakes I make but I am still learning English.

tcrave

3 Year Member
Thank you for the reply! The one thing that puzzles me the most is that it can flip hairs. Can OW slings flip their longer hairs?
P.S. Sorry about the mistakes I make but I am still learning English.
no ow cant flick hairs. if its flicking hairs it must be nw. but it looks like an asian tarantula

tcrave

3 Year Member
Aphonopelma aberrans I think this is what your t resembles if its nw but im not 100 % sure...except the mirror patch is more viable to see,

pokie99

3 Year Member
I searched in the gallery of the site of the breeder and didn't find any of those. It might be the light but mine looks bluish while these are more of a brown color. I found these two species: Aphonopelma seemanni and Eupalaestrus campestratus. I think the first looks more like mine. About the size - mine is about 3 inches in legspan. And she has a fearsome character - she flicks urticating hairs like crazy and isn't afraid to sink her teeth in anything that comes near her! And also these species
look like terrestrials while mine doesn't seem to mind the arboreal setup.

tcrave

3 Year Member
the femurs on yours has a blue metallic sheen to them which i think excludes the Eupalaestrus campestratus

pokie99

3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't write but I was ill. I'm going to look in the Internet for some other species of this genus . I I'm going to look again the species you've suggested but I don't see any of these in the breeder's website. Thanks for the help. I'll write if I have any more questions.

Poec54

3 Year Member
It is not an OW species, none of them have urticating hairs, nor does it look anything like a Coremiocnemis. It's a NW terrestrial from Central or South America.

Send pics to the seller and ask them what they sent to you by mistake. Let them know the date you got it so they can check what they had on hand then.

Latest posts