• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What should i choose for second T ?

bookac

3 Year Member
Hello this weekend i am going to get my second T..
Can you give me tips on what should i get ?
My Geniculata is a bit fast for a first T, so i would go with a chiller one for a second T...

I was planning on getting Brachypelma Albopilosum, but what do you guys think from this list.. This is all T's that the guy is selling..

I am really interest in Avicularia Versicolor and Avicularia Metallica , but i think they are not a good choice for a beginer :)

And wich from the two Avics are more docile ? Thank you :)

Acanthoscurria Geniculata
Avicularia Metallica
Avicularia Versicolor
Brachypelma Albiceps
Brachypelma Albopilosum
Brachypelma Boehmei
Brachypelma Klaasi
Brachypelma Smithi
Brachypelma Vagans
Grammostola Pulchra
Haplopelma Lividum
Hysterocrates Hercules
Nhandu Chromatus

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you find your Geniculata a bit fast for a first T than I would definitely not recommend an Avic, lol. That said, if you do your research I'm sure you can "handle" (not literally handle, lol) them, too. I got my Versicolor as a grown on sling, so she wasn't quite in that fragile sling state any more. She's a subadult female now, a bit on the feisty side, but since I don't handle her that's no issue. Beautiful girl though and often visible, which is a bonus.
Anyway, any of the Brachies would be a good choice. My second T was a B. Boehmei and he's a great little spider. He would hide for months as a sling, but now he's always out and about doing something like digging, emptying his water dish or just sitting on his log at the front of the glass looking pretty. He grew to a decent juvenile size (>1.5") pretty fast, but seems to be slowing down in growth now, but personally that doesn't bother me. He's quite greedy, too, and seems to assume that everything entering his tub (water, tweezers, etc) is a potential meal.

bookac

3 Year Member
If you find your Geniculata a bit fast for a first T than I would definitely not recommend an Avic, lol. That said, if you do your research I'm sure you can "handle" (not literally handle, lol) them, too. I got my Versicolor as a grown on sling, so she wasn't quite in that fragile sling state any more. She's a subadult female now, a bit on the feisty side, but since I don't handle her that's no issue. Beautiful girl though and often visible, which is a bonus.
Anyway, any of the Brachies would be a good choice. My second T was a B. Boehmei and he's a great little spider. He would hide for months as a sling, but now he's always out and about doing something like digging, emptying his water dish or just sitting on his log at the front of the glass looking pretty. He grew to a decent juvenile size (>1.5") pretty fast, but seems to be slowing down in growth now, but personally that doesn't bother me. He's quite greedy, too, and seems to assume that everything entering his tub (water, tweezers, etc) is a potential meal.

Thank you, that was my second choice, i am thinking between Albopilosum and Boehmei.. I am going this evening to see the spiders, and if the Boehmei is a sling, i will search for some info about rasing a T from a sling.. Or i will go with the Albopilosum as he said that is a juvennile.. :) thanks again

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
...or get both, lol! If you have space for 2 Tarantulas, you'll have space for 3.
Have fun visiting your new addition(s) tonight.

bookac

3 Year Member
I just get this little fella ^^

EuhHlJ4.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I just get this little fella ^^

EuhHlJ4.jpg
I believe every beginner should have one to develope basic care skills with. Very hardy species, great eaters, docile, out in the open and love to rearrange their enclosure. I really enjoy my old girl.
Check out B. sabulosum, an often overlooked species, that is another great addition for the beginner. [emoji3]
Enjoy the hobby!

bookac

3 Year Member
I believe every beginner should have one to develope basic care skills with. Very hardy species, great eaters, docile, out in the open and love to rearrange their enclosure. I really enjoy my old girl.
Check out B. sabulosum, an often overlooked species, that is another great addition for the beginner. [emoji3]
Enjoy the hobby!
Thank you, she/he is so adorable, its so tiny compared to my Geniculata :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would have recommended A.metallica, but since you consider A.geniculata fast, that would probably be a bad choice. Avics are slow compared to other arboreals, but still quick. Plus they can and will jump when spooked. I'd recommend Brachypelma smithi. Just remember that there's always that chance of ending up with a not so docile specimen. Smithi are normally docile, but you will get skittish ones that kick hairs a lot from time to time.

bookac

3 Year Member
I would have recommended A.metallica, but since you consider A.geniculata fast, that would probably be a bad choice. Avics are slow compared to other arboreals, but still quick. Plus they can and will jump when spooked. I'd recommend Brachypelma smithi. Just remember that there's always that chance of ending up with a not so docile specimen. Smithi are normally docile, but you will get skittish ones that kick hairs a lot from time to time.
Thank you chubbs, but I already got my second one, I will consider for my third in near future :) My a. geniculata is docile, but have very quick bursts of movement. Not a constant speed. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's pretty much how most Avics are, except more agile and good climbers being arboreal. The only Avicularia that have a reputation for being fast as well as defensive are diversipes and laeta . Versicolor is rather fast as well, and some can be moody, but are mainly skittish. Just something to think about if and when you decide to get into arboreals.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi. The curly hair was a great choice. Just wanted to say, don't be discouraged by avics, for the most part they're the brachys of the arboreal spiders. And don't be put off by the talk of avics being fragile and dying easily...they require a lot of ventilation but their substrate doesn't need to be wet. Give them a plastic plant to web to and a water dish with fresh water, slings you can soak every once in a while but let it dry out completely before doing it again. I always did that rarely with mine, kind of like simulating occasional rain. One guy i know just sprays a little water on the web hammok once a week. They don't require 90% humidity like some seem to believe. Ventilation is key. They're a great genus and versis are flat out gorgeous :T: Just my opinion from my own experience with my 6 avics. I raised them all from tiny slings. One warning : if you're fond of pretty enclosures, be prepared for lots of maintenance... Arboreals, particularly Avics, poop all over the sides of their enclosure..:eek:

bookac

3 Year Member
Hi. The curly hair was a great choice. Just wanted to say, don't be discouraged by avics, for the most part they're the brachys of the arboreal spiders. And don't be put off by the talk of avics being fragile and dying easily...they require a lot of ventilation but their substrate doesn't need to be wet. Give them a plastic plant to web to and a water dish with fresh water, slings you can soak every once in a while but let it dry out completely before doing it again. I always did that rarely with mine, kind of like simulating occasional rain. One guy i know just sprays a little water on the web hammok once a week. They don't require 90% humidity like some seem to believe. Ventilation is key. They're a great genus and versis are flat out gorgeous :T: Just my opinion from my own experience with my 6 avics. I raised them all from tiny slings. One warning : if you're fond of pretty enclosures, be prepared for lots of maintenance... Arboreals, particularly Avics, poop all over the sides of their enclosure..:eek:
Thank you, I will definitely consider of getting one soon :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you, I will definitely consider of getting one soon :)
Personally, I do feel that slings are a bit more on the fragile side. Maybe fragile isn't exactly the right word to use, but Avics require a bit more precise conditions, and are less forgiving, so to speak, of noob mistakes. They can be a bit fast though, and are capable of jumping pretty far distances. Almost like little ninjas.They definitely can be skittish. Not as calm as a Brachypelma fir the most part. Not all are docile. Laeta is very defensive and skittish as is diversipes. Just stuff to keep in mind.

Latest posts