• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What needs to be done to a used enclosure before a new T can move in?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Do you have to put in fresh substrate and stuff like that? Reason I'm asking is, I might be getting a new T soon and I have a cage already set up but it will have been previously occupied when the newcomer arrives. My substrate has only been used for a couple of months. I would obviously clean out the water dish. How much cleaning out has to be done as a whole?

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I have read that if another spider senses another spider whether it is actually in the cage or not it will become very restless and stressed. It's like you walking into someone else house, you wouldn't really feel at ease if you weren't invited in. So personally I'd not only clean the tank, but I would totally replace the substrate myself. It's pretty cheap stuff anyways.

Kenny has a lot more experience than myself though, so if he says only take the top layer off and replace it, I'm sure it's fine.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I replaced all the substrate too, just to be sure all the webbing was out...hard to see sometimes.

Latest posts