• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is your guys' favorite part about keeping Tarantulas?

swimbait

3 Year Member
For me it is definitely getting new Ts, I honestly get a type of rush from getting new Ts and setting up they're enclosures and rehousing them. I wish I could get 5 new tarantulas a day just to get that feeling!

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I like feeding them and seeing them eat. That's probably my favorite part about any of my reptiles too (except my turtle... that's not a very exciting meal time to watch).

swimbait

3 Year Member
My turtles are a blast too watch, I have 3 RES and a snapper. I don't think I have ever owned a more interactive exotic pet than my sliders. I love seeing my tarantulas eat but there is just something about setting up new enclosures. I like seeing my spiders eat so much that they are on different feeding schedules so I at least have one spider to feed a day ha

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Right now all of my spiders are eating on the same day. Unlike my other herps I can't justify giving them in-between treats though :(
My turtle is an Eastern box turtle... Very interactive but meal time is basically just slow, methodical chewing.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely feeding (especially the ones that properly stalk and hunt) and when they improve their homes by webbing or digging. With my more active spiders like my Rosea (imagine that, lol!), Genic and T. Gigas it's also watching them go for a wander around their tanks.

P.S: Not Ts, but feeding time for my corn snakes is always quite interesting and shows how different they are. Ozzy, my small male doesn't constrict and half the time he doesn't even strike, but takes the "prey" gently with no rush.
Draco though, always strikes an tightly constricts before eating.
It's as if Ozzy is the smarter one, knowing the frozen/thawed mice are already dead and not going anywhere. He also finds his food a lot faster than Draco. Draco's not the pick of the litter when it comes to brains, lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For me it is definitely getting new Ts, I honestly get a type of rush from getting new Ts and setting up they're enclosures and rehousing them. I wish I could get 5 new tarantulas a day just to get that feeling!

I like feeding them and seeing them eat. That's probably my favorite part about any of my reptiles too (except my turtle... that's not a very exciting meal time to watch).

I agree with you both on this but I think watching the different ways they arrange their homes, digging , webbing etc. is probably the most fascinating for me.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great question! My favorite is the research. I enjoy trying to find out as much as I can regarding the T's prior to puchasing. The forums are an awesome start but I also like to review the books and other sites as well. I can spend hours researching a single species before I determine if it is going to be added to the collection. Then the the purchase. Then the Feeding. Then the maturing process. Visious circle :confused:

swimbait

3 Year Member
Great question! My favorite is the research. I enjoy trying to find out as much as I can regarding the T's prior to puchasing. The forums are an awesome start but I also like to review the books and other sites as well. I can spend hours researching a single species before I determine if it is going to be added to the collection. Then the the purchase. Then the Feeding. Then the maturing process. Visious circle :confused:

This is ho I am with fishing related stuff lol

Prudance

3 Year Member
If I have to pick just one thing to be a fav, It'd have to be watching them walk. I love to just watch them move around with their sometimes slow sometimes swift effortless glide. It's meditative and awe inspiring.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Feeding is definitely my second favorite part! Sometimes some of my P. cambridgei slings will come launching out of their burrow and chase the crick down then slowly bring it back to its burrow

Alexander White

3 Year Member
i love how interesting swix is, i love to just watch him and see what he does, whether thats explore, clean, molt, eat, close off his hide away, etc... Everything he does is interesting

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love keeping T's... I love watching them hunt and building webs..
Both my sisters kids spend hours looking at them and asking questions. We also have a new kitten in the house and they show more interest in the tarantulas ...:)

Sym

swimbait

3 Year Member
I love keeping T's... I love watching them hunt and building webs..
Both my sisters kids spend hours looking at them and asking questions. We also have a new kitten in the house and they show more interest in the tarantulas ...:)

Sym

Careful with that one day they might show too much interest...

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@swimbait . I hear what your saying .
I've explained to both my sisters kids that T's are to look at only and are not to be held. I've also shown them videos on YouTube on T bites etc and read various articles on the effects of a bite.
They are interested in looking at T's and asking question . I know they wouldn't touch the enclosures..

Sym

Latest posts