• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is your favorite T and why?

Roo

3 Year Member
Just curious really.. I think mine would come under the common umbrella of "Bird Eater". They are always what I think of when I think of a Tarantula.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What exactly is a bird-eater? I don't even know anymore. There are so many different species that have the name "Bird-Eater" in it, and most of them aren't even in the same genus.

I actually think there was a thread just like this created only a week or two ago. I'll try to find it.

Roo

3 Year Member
What exactly is a bird-eater? I don't even know anymore. There are so many different species that have the name "Bird-Eater" in it, and most of them aren't even in the same genus.

I actually think there was a thread just like this created only a week or two ago. I'll try to find it.

Really? I couldn't see one. But then again I might have over looked it. I know what you mean, a lot of things are called "Bird eaters" now, I generally consider it to mean anything big.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bird eater used to mean any large species from South America, earth tigers were from Asia, baboons from Africa and so on...it's just common names anyway..no biggy. In answer to your question, my favorite would be either the Lasiodoras, Pamphos or GBBs or Hapalopus..ok yeah, can't decide and one..it's just too much trying to decide on one species or genus..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My favorite changes daily, I adore all of them, right now its my little Thrixopelma ockerti
because she kicked hair at me in the laziest manner I have ever seen, I laughed for an hour.

timc

3 Year Member
Aside from the beautiful colors, my GBB has recently started to recognize that the enclosure opening usually means food and stopped freaking out, instead waiting patiently at the mouth of his container. It's pretty adorable how respectful the little guy is. :) And then the attacks! ... They never disappoint. And did I mention the beautiful colors? I think I might have. If that's not a great resume for favorite tarantula I don't know what is.:T:

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Just curious really.. I think mine would come under the common umbrella of "Bird Eater". They are always what I think of when I think of a Tarantula.

Easy for me. My Theraphosa stirmi adult. It's powerful, mean and doesn't take cr@p. I think it's a beauty too. All around great T. And of course, it gets attention. I have a "Desert Eagle" 50 cal handgun, and it reminds me of that. It's enormous , not sensible, and too big to carry.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really? I couldn't see one. But then again I might have over looked it. I know what you mean, a lot of things are called "Bird eaters" now, I generally consider it to mean anything big.
It's a term used to describe many of the larger South America terrestrials. Some of the larger arboreals (such as pokies Lampropelma species etc) can reach sizes that are just as big as some of these, although they have a much lighter build.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
L. parahybana, because they are TANKS.
P. irminia, because they are STUNNING.
B. emilia, because they, too, are stunning.

But I really like most of them... the shorter list is what I least like.... any of the LBJ's (little brown jobbies) that have no distinctive features.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've always said I didn't have a favourite but just at this moment I think I will have to admit that my very new, very tiny, very hairy S. calceatum, Peanut, has claimed that place.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@SpiderDad61 ..
My E.Weij..
Now 1" DLS :)
image.jpeg

Latest posts