• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is this? Mites? :(

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
This is a first for me. I have read alot about mites and other critters that can pop up and cause havoc, but this is a first. This week I ordered and recieved a beautiful G. rosea from someone on AB. Unfortunately it was DOA (also a first for me). This was only a three day ship and I felt the packing was up to par. The heat pack was working fine and everything else checked out. I inspected the T really well to make sure there was no signs of life and there was none. However, I did put it in an ICU just for my peace of mind in trying everything possible. 24 hours later I opened it up to discover what you see in the pics. I instantly could clearly see that this T was covered with many little white specs that were moving. Under magnification I could see thier legs as well as make out just how many their were (LOTS!). I imediately contacted the seller to warn him and I am awaiting a new T in the mail. If I do recieve a new T it will be going right in quarenten until I am sure it isn't infected also. I am worried that these are the mites I hear and read about. I have examined all of my other Ts that I can get a good view of (around 40 of them), and so far there is no sign of these little critters on any of them. Are these for sure mites? Is there a good chance they spread before I realized this T had them? Do you think these mites are what killed the T? any advice helps. Let me know if you can's see the pics. I appreciate any advice, I'm kinda freaking out.
20180107_205443.jpg
20180107_205405.jpg
20180107_205336.jpg

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Thanks man, I appreciate it. This was a great link with good info. It's funny because I always run to the Tarantula Keeper's Guide when I'm at a loss.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks man, I appreciate it. This was a great link with good info. It's funny because I always run to the Tarantula Keeper's Guide when I'm at a loss.
Yes...but it's in need of a serious update. This hobby is evolving with new methods and practices ...I'd love to see a revised edition.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Yes those seem to be mites. Most likely scavanger mites.

They wouldnt have killed the T, but rather showed up to feast on the decaying matter after death. The also thrive in moisture, so placing dead spider in warm, wet tub would attract them and they would multiply fast.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes...but it's in need of a serious update. This hobby is evolving with new methods and practices ...I'd love to see a revised edition.
I interviewed Stan for composition in college back in 2015 via email, and he gave me a bit of news on one last addition, but I am going to stop there.

Latest posts