• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you think of tarantula youtubers?

JayManges

Commodore 64. State of the art 1980's computer.

Attachments

• 180px-Commodore_Educator_64_(standout_version).jpg
    180px-Commodore_Educator_64_(standout_version).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
E

ExMember

When I started in 1981...
0 research
0 books in the hobby
0 youtubers
0 online sites
0 forums
0 help what so ever
It's all common sense...people make it much harder then it really is.
View attachment 44274This is little Shelly... shes about 10 years older then youtube.:D
So did you start with a rosie or a red knee:D

I was keeping frogs starting in about 1984 and there was no books or stuff either!

Shelly is awesome!

E

ExMember

Maybe it is the Okie in me but I didn't notice Richard had an accent. Does he?

Some folks don't hear the accents due to acclimitization. A good example is my Nanna. My mum grew up with all her friends not being able to understand Nanna. I have heard she has the thickest scottish accent ever. My mum and I don't even hear it at all :)

E

ExMember

I had one!! My dear mum had to get a credit card to get it for me. She fell for the 'it'll be educational' line. Back then you had black screens with green writing and games took forever to load.

Posh bastards!:p What's a floppy disk? I had one of these!

It didn't even take floppys. It took cassette tapes! And colecovision cartridges!

Apple ii was more educational. We learned about history by playing Oregon trail!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
@regalis mentioning Phormictopus cochleasvorax in the Breeders thread, made me remember another favourite YouTuber. Marks Tarantulas. What a lovely guy he seems to be too. You know the type, the neighbour who'd clear the snow from his drive, then do the rest of the street.
He's been doing this for a long time, so his videos are getting professional quality and he keeps a very interesting collection, including true spiders such as P fera. Definitely worth a watch.

regalis

@regalis mentioning Phormictopus cochleasvorax in the Breeders thread, made me remember another favourite YouTuber. Marks Tarantulas. What a lovely guy he seems to be too. You know the type, the neighbour who'd clear the snow from his drive, then do the rest of the street.
He's been doing this for a long time, so his videos are getting professional quality and he keeps a very interesting collection, including true spiders such as P fera. Definitely worth a watch.
I dont tend to watch a lot because I dont understand people who have hundreds of t's but keep them in little cramped boxes. I only have my slings in plastic tubs but I like display tanks when they are big enough

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I dont tend to watch a lot because I dont understand people who have hundreds of t's but keep them in little cramped boxes. I only have my slings in plastic tubs but I like display tanks when they are big enough

You'll like marks Tarantulas then, cos he seems to have mainly display enclosures, plus he's quite um, photogenic himself haha :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So did you start with a rosie or a red knee:D

I was keeping frogs starting in about 1984 and there was no books or stuff either!

Shelly is awesome!
I actually started with two, a Theraphosa blondi (one of the first in the U.S. and a Euathlus smithi (now Brachypelma smithi). Both were given to me by a local college that was looking for someone to care for them for the summer. After summer was over they said I could just keep them because they got new donations.

E

ExMember

I actually started with two, a Theraphosa blondi (one of the first in the U.S. and a Euathlus smithi (now Brachypelma smithi). Both were given to me by a local college that was looking for someone to care for them for the summer. After summer was over they said I could just keep them because they got new donations.
Awesome story! Must have been the coolest keeper back then! "Oh you keep rosehairs? Look what I've got (pulls out T blondi enclosure)!"

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Tom Moran #1 Youtube and Podcast, For factual education, husbandry and general information on species. He's actually legitimate and has helped me a great deal on his information especially on keeping my speck of a spiderling alive.

The spiderman is actually pretty good and informative which I watch.

Dark Den, Exotic Lair, Tarantula Kat-which lives close to me, and a few others I can't remember I watch more for entertainment only. Tarantula Collective I actually unsubscribed from due to some highly controversial videos that actually didn"t help the hobby for beginners.

Again, when I need facts in regards to information it's 100% Tom Moran. I also just received from Amazon 'The Tarantula's Keeper Guide' 3rd edition by Stanley Shultz. This book is what everyone should have in their library that is in or planning to be in the hobby as an enthusiast. Wish I had this from the beginning. This is just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
E

ExMember

Tom Moran #1 Youtube and Podcast, For factual education, husbandry and general information on species. He's actually legitimate and has helped me a great deal on his information especially on keeping my speck of a spiderling alive.

The spiderman is actually pretty good and informative which I watch.

Dark Den, Exotic Lair, Tarantula Kat-which lives close to me, and a few others I can't remember I watch more for entertainment only. Tarantula Collective I actually unsubscribed from due to some highly controversial videos that actually didn"t help the hobby for beginners.

Again, when I need facts in regards to information it's 100% Tom Moran. I also just received from Amazon 'The Tarantula's Keeper Guide' 3rd edition by Stanley Shultz. This book is what everyone should have in their library that is in or planning to be in the hobby as an enthusiast. Wish I had this from the beginning. This is just my 2 cents.

Ha ha! You live by tarantula kat? I live by Stan Shultz!

To be honest, more often than not many people don't understand that there is no single, the only right way, even if one strongly believes it.

Youtube wise I no longer watch that many tarantula related videos, because let's be honest...it same thing over and over (no exceptions). Since I made a few friends from the hobby, I stick to them most of the time. Facebook communities are toxic, few ppl from channels mentioned above are also...so I left it all for good.

Tbh Scal and Hmac are less potent by far..lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They all are in it for the money...that's it. I was in a private Facebook group with these money greedy people. All they cared about was more subscribers and views for revenue. Tarantula kat and exoticlair are the worst...I wouldnt cross the street to help them at all. All they would post and complain in the group was low views and lost subscribers. They look for controversial topics and clickbait to get views for money. The more views...the more money they get. The only true one that cares about the hobby is @Tomoran .

Last edited:

Latest posts