• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What’s this? A growth or normal?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
so re my other post about a bent leg on an acanthuscurria, I was checking to find tarsal hooks and I noticed an extra ‘ spur’ on the back legs, none on the other legs, it’s the two back legs, the left one in particular that is bent, the other is slightly bent, but with a lopsided spur, then I also saw a round lump on either the palps or chelicerae, I can’t be sure as it was hidden by the spider, I’m curious to know if this looks normal. It’s really difficult to get a good picture I’m afraid.
9F630D51-8664-4FFE-B73B-4D940215AC68.jpeg
D6410F65-90B7-478C-AE22-756AD4BC03B0.jpeg

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
The exo skeleton looks to have ruptured and now the newer exo underneath is growing through.

It should harden.

It might right itself on the next moult. It may cause some trouble during moulting, if so then it will drop the leg.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you @KezyGLA i didn’t know such things were possible but it certainly sounds like a rupture as you say, something is definitely not right with it though, it’s sitting with legs hunched up and when it walks it doesn’t lift its body up normally, it’s dragging more than walking. The molt before last was fine but it came out only for a short time then disappeared shortly after and I guessed it was molting again, so there was a very short time between two molts, or so I think anyway.
I’m upset and it’s not looking good.
Thank you for your help, I’ll just have to wait and observe now.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you @KezyGLA i didn’t know such things were possible but it certainly sounds like a rupture as you say, something is definitely not right with it though, it’s sitting with legs hunched up and when it walks it doesn’t lift its body up normally, it’s dragging more than walking. The molt before last was fine but it came out only for a short time then disappeared shortly after and I guessed it was molting again, so there was a very short time between two molts, or so I think anyway.
I’m upset and it’s not looking good.
Thank you for your help, I’ll just have to wait and observe now.
Don't be upset @Tabitha its unfortunately one of those things-nothing you have done wrong or you could have done to prevent it
like @KezyGLA said it should harden its self and will hopefully improve its movement-little else you can do except watch and wait:T:

Latest posts