• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Want to buy Goliath Bird Eater

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First.
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Now,
Most here don't use common names. So it might get more attention if your specific. Assuming your looking for
a AF Theraphosa blondi?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First.
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Now,
Most here don't use common names. So it might get more attention if your specific. Assuming your looking for
a AF Theraphosa blondi?
....and to reinforce your post even more as you are spot on @Kymura many will now sell or offer the Theraphosa stirmi (the Burgundy Goliath Birdeater) - just as a Goliath Bird eater as although even these are expensive to buy, they are slightly more readily available than what was the "mother" of all bird eaters the blondi.
@Mcgreagory Jackson the Burgundy gets its name as it tends to have this colour in spidrling/juvenile stage. At adult stage it is much harder to tell whether you have a genuine BlondI or a Stermi but I seem to recall a post on this forum recently about telling them apart which was really useful. Best thing is make sure you research as they are not suitable for novice owners and can be hard to keep when compared to hardier Ts. If it is size as well as looks. Try the Acanthoscurria geniculata. IMHO one of the best looking Ts around, dirt cheap in comparison to blondi and stirmi, hardier, prefrontal to be in the limelight (usually sit in the middle of the tank just looking good) and much more readily available. Funnily enough, both @Kymura and myself both have them as our avatars. Mine is nearly 8 inches now. Welcome to the forum and any questions, just ask ☺

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello there and welcome! There are 3 main "goliath bird eaters" (as you would put it) in the hobby (although there are other Goliath's of different species but I won't confuse you). These are the main 3 that most people look for when searching for a massive tarantula with a big appetite:

1. Theraphosa stirmi
2. Theraphosa blondi
3. Theraphosa apophysis

All of them require a moderately humid environment and if their environment isn't maintained as it should be, they can diminish very easily. The Theraphosa stirmi would probably be your best bet as it is more readily available, cheaper in price (when compared to the other 2), and gets just as big (might be 1/4-1" smaller in leg span than its rivals). Either way, it's a massive tarantula with a "large" leg span (most reaching 10-11.25"). If you research these 3 and decide which one suits you best (it's your decision), let me know and I will personally help you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps! Also, if you're interested in other species that are considered "Goliath's", there are a few more that I can give you a list of. Happy hunting!! :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello there and welcome! There are 3 main "goliath bird eaters" (as you would put it) in the hobby (although there are other Goliath's of different species but I won't confuse you). These are the main 3 that most people look for when searching for a massive tarantula with a big appetite:

1. Theraphosa stirmi
2. Theraphosa blondi
3. Theraphosa apophysis

All of them require a moderately humid environment and if their environment isn't maintained as it should be, they can diminish very easily. The Theraphosa stirmi would probably be your best bet as it is more readily available, cheaper in price (when compared to the other 2), and gets just as big (might be 1/4-1" smaller in leg span than its rivals). Either way, it's a massive tarantula with a "large" leg span (most reaching 10-11.25"). If you research these 3 and decide which one suits you best (it's your decision), let me know and I will personally help you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps! Also, if you're interested in other species that are considered "Goliath's", there are a few more that I can give you a list of. Happy hunting!! :)
Offering personal services now......lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nah, just to new members that "scammers" tend to target. Trying to eliminate that, lol...besides, nothing turns me on more than the disappointment of a scammer that couldn't get one over on someone by my intervening. ;).

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shame I am thousands of miles away then.....I am sure I could use your services

Lol....I'm hoping you took that I meant in reference to helping others with research and extended search for what they need as far as "Inverts" go.....lol....but if I must stereotype you....you are a "man" and I know how the "majority" of you think....:oops::p;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol....I'm hoping you took that I meant in reference to helping others with research and extended search for what they need as far as "Inverts" go.....lol....but if I must stereotype you....you are a "man" and I know how the "majority" of you think....:oops::p;)
Naturally.....There is always the exception to the rule....I am obviously in the "minority" ;):D

Mera Mera no Mi

3 Year Member
Casey K, your cool!

I am also interested in other species that are considered "Goliath's"
Also by "moderately humid environment" Soil should always wet and im guessing coconut husk?

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, you're welcome. Ok, so Mello (a friend of mine on another forum has a "pair" of T. stirmi for $300 but she is taking reasonable offers. I'm not sure if she will separate them in a sale but I will ask. Also, another friend of mine has an unsexed 2" T. stirmi for $70. If you're interested in either of these, please lmk. I will inform them and perhaps you can exchange information with them and get what you want! :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Casey K, your cool!

I am also interested in other species that are considered "Goliath's"
Also by "moderately humid environment" Soil should always wet and im guessing coconut husk?
Yes soil shouldn't be "wet" (soaked) but moderately damp. Coconut substrate is ok to use but I would mix it with peat moss because it's known for retaining moisture & helping with humidity levels.

Mera Mera no Mi

3 Year Member
TBH I'm going to buy some plants at the pet store, which requires high humdity, to see how well I can keep my humidity levels, its just so dry where I live. I don't want to risk anything.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
TBH I'm going to buy some plants at the pet store, which requires high humdity, to see how well I can keep my humidity levels, its just so dry where I live. I don't want to risk anything.
That's cool. :). You can also buy a cool mist humidifier if your conditions are that bad. It worked for me. :)