• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Villosella escape...

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Me too... If the vet truly believes that it is wrong to keep two different species, just because one can potentially harm the other. Then would that vet lecture someone against keeping say mice & a cat. Or cats & a dog? Or is just T's etc they have an issue with?
That's an excellent point :)

Avicularia Kael

I have 3 cats and multiple T’s. I also have a bearded dragon. What I would be worried about is the cats killing the T. They would tear that thing apart.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly I agree with the vet only that if you live in a studio cats and spiders are not going to work. Cats are going to want to hunt...that's what cats do. They are evil little assassins. Theres been a few threads on cats being bitten by old worlds. Cats were fine...spiders didnt fair well. I've got 4 cats, 3 dogs and 400+ spiders. You need to have separation from the spiders and cats. **** will happen....
IMG-20180406-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180406-WA0001.jpg

Unless you cage your cats when your not around you may come home to this. All my Ts are now in their own room.

As for this photo of the deceased spider...give use a shot of the eyes.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly I agree with the vet only that if you live in a studio cats and spiders are not going to work. Cats are going to want to hunt...that's what cats do. They are evil little assassins. Theres been a few threads on cats being bitten by old worlds. Cats were fine...spiders didnt fair well. I've got 4 cats, 3 dogs and 400+ spiders. You need to have separation from the spiders and cats. **** will happen....View attachment 42513View attachment 42514
Unless you cage your cats when your not around you may come home to this. All my Ts are now in their own room.

This is why I keep all my smaller containers inside vivariums to keep my cats out.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Honestly I agree with the vet only that if you live in a studio cats and spiders are not going to work. Cats are going to want to hunt...that's what cats do. They are evil little assassins. Theres been a few threads on cats being bitten by old worlds. Cats were fine...spiders didnt fair well. I've got 4 cats, 3 dogs and 400+ spiders. You need to have separation from the spiders and cats. **** will happen....View attachment 42513View attachment 42514

I believe @Crax keeps her tarantulas in a studio room where she does her artwork, and the cats aren't allowed in. They have the rest of the apartment. Thanks for sharing those photos. They illustrate the reality of what cats will get up to.

Excellent point about requesting a photo of the eye area. I didn't even think of that. @Crax, if it is a true spider, it is probably Eratigena atrica (unless there is another species in Sweden) and its eye arrangement will be very different to H.villosella.

Crax

I'm back! Finally after xmas vacation. Now...

Allow me to clear some things up. @Arachnoclown I don't live in a studio... I work in a studio. An art studio that is connected to my apartment, like an extra room that is built on the opposite side of the actual spare room. My spoods live there. My cats aren't allowed to come in. They sometimes stand outside the other door and let me know how unpleasant it is for them.

@Avicularia Kael Thanks for the insight but kind of figured that out as my villosella has made a thick web between the book shelves. Unfortunately these things are mounted to the wall and floor. They are heavy and huge. With some poking of a skewer stick, I figured it was an older web since there were no signs of Spoodle. One may ask how I know it was my T that did that, in Sweden there are no spiders that make that thick webbing and they are prolific webbers.

@Jess S Hi! Yes you're correct. The eyes are different and also I'm back working in my studio. Some updates for the comic will be up soon. I'll send the link to you later. plus wanted to tell you.... I FOUND SOME EVIDENCE that my Spoodle is around the book cases where they were housed in their enclosure. So hopefully later I'll see something. I keep an eye on that area every day now. :T:

Hemolymph

3 Year Member

Allow me to clear some things up. @Arachnoclown I don't live in a studio... I work in a studio. An art studio that is connected to my apartment, like an extra room that is built on the opposite side of the actual spare room. My spoods live there. My cats aren't allowed to come in. They sometimes stand outside the other door and let me know how unpleasant it is for them.

@Avicularia Kael Thanks for the insight but kind of figured that out as my villosella has made a thick web between the book shelves. Unfortunately these things are mounted to the wall and floor. They are heavy and huge. With some poking of a skewer stick, I figured it was an older web since there were no signs of Spoodle. One may ask how I know it was my T that did that, in Sweden there are no spiders that make that thick webbing and they are prolific webbers.

@Jess S Hi! Yes you're correct. The eyes are different and also I'm back working in my studio. Some updates for the comic will be up soon. I'll send the link to you later. plus wanted to tell you.... I FOUND SOME EVIDENCE that my Spoodle is around the book cases where they were housed in their enclosure. So hopefully later I'll see something. I keep an eye on that area every day now. :T:
Your kinda off there a bit, clown mentioned a photo of eyes would help.

P.s. studios in the states don’t have doors.
:beer:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Great to have you back Crax. Hope you enjoyed your break. I'm sure you'll catch the crafty little bigger soon lol.
Definitely send me the link when you're ready, looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work.

And yes, @Hemolymph you are correct. It was Arachnoclowns idea. And a bloody good one too! I genuinely think Crax may have missed it came from the big guy, as he very briefly mentioned it at the end of his post (he's a man of few words) and I don't think English is her first language. Thanks though for clearing that up....bit awkward lol

Crax

@Hemolymph Sorry but I did miss the suggestion at the very bottom of Arachnoclown's post. I'm on my phone most of the time and trying to catch up to everyone responses and such.

Also what would you call a place where art is created regularly? In Sweden we call it an art studio.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
@Hemolymph Sorry but I did miss the suggestion at the very bottom of Arachnoclown's post. I'm on my phone most of the time and trying to catch up to everyone responses and such.

Also what would you call a place where art is created regularly? In Sweden we call it an art studio.
Yes we would too call that a art studio but only a very few people would actually have one, mostly it would be a business. If one were to say casually they had a studio its an apartment.

Latest posts