• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very controversial feeder here but, would you say it’s safe and/or ok to feed fish?

Sorafromkh2

Personally if there was a 70% chance feeder fish didn’t have chemicals in their water, or were carrying parasites in them I’d still say it wouldn’t really be worth the risk considering the 30% chance that they WOULD, It would be really cool to watch my T pounce on a guppy. They're also appropriately sized for her. I feel like the occasional vertebrae might feel more natural for them, I don't know how beneficial it is though, ik they carry vitamins but idk.. I hear some people say they've fed goldfish to their T with no problems, and it's ok as a treat once in a while, and others say it's too risky, messy and the fish is also very scared, unlike insects who die instantly.. I don't want my T exposed to chemicals or for it to have a long death. Any thoughts?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally if there was a 70% chance feeder fish didn’t have chemicals in their water, or were carrying parasites in them I’d still say it wouldn’t really be worth the risk considering the 30% chance that they WOULD, It would be really cool to watch my T pounce on a guppy. They're also appropriately sized for her. I feel like the occasional vertebrae might feel more natural for them, I don't know how beneficial it is though, ik they carry vitamins but idk.. I hear some people say they've fed goldfish to their T with no problems, and it's ok as a treat once in a while, and others say it's too risky, messy and the fish is also very scared, unlike insects who die instantly.. I don't want my T exposed to chemicals or for it to have a long death. Any thoughts?
I don’t know about live fish, but I know of someone who has fed bits of fish to their tarantulas in the past.

tarantulas118

I assume you are thinking Hysterocrates gigas? As they can not only swim but dive & There is also an Australian diving Tarantula, but I don't think it's in the hobby. And as of 2015, they were so new to science, that they had no scientific name.
That was what I was thinking about since it’s the only tarantula I know that eats fish in the wild

Sorafromkh2

What kind of T
She is a orphnaeus sp blue tarantula, honestly not sure if she would eat it, but I assumed so because tarantulas aren't usually picky eaters. I was thinking a guppy since they're smaller than her abdomen or even a guppy fry. I'm not sure if it's ok to feed fish to T's like her? Maybe she wouldn't try to eat it?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just as an afterthought. Many of us have clean up crews which include isopods in our enclosures & most people accept T's may eat the isopods. And isopods are crustaceans, so maybe feeding fish is not such an unusual idea.

ta122

Just because there have been instances of fish being fed without repercussions, doesn't remove the risk. Ultimately, it's your call, but I don't find anecdotal evidence to be any kind of justification. Sure, tarantulas eat things like this in the wild, but they also do a lot of things that put themselves at risk in the wild. You know?

Sorafromkh2

Just as an afterthought. Many of us have clean up crews which include isopods in our enclosures & most people accept T's may eat the isopods. And isopods are crustaceans, so maybe feeding fish is not such an unusual idea.
Yeahhh I've actually fed my T isopods before :3

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Most people treat there water with treatments, so would be cautious of feed them often on fish. Shrimps kept in some of these treatments perish . Unless there a species that are found near water why feed them on something they would probable never in counter in wild or anything like it . This is only my opinion , am not trying to tell anyone what to feed the tarantula.But I have thought about keeping Hysterocrates gigas in tank with some water features and seeing if they do fish.

Sorafromkh2

Shrimps kept in some of these treatments perish .

I've already tried feeding ghost shrimp to her before, and no luck they die too quickly and aren't very good feeders, after they died off though my cat was super happy to eat them....

But I have thought about keeping Hysterocrates gigas in tank with some water features and seeing if they do fish.

I've seen someone successfully do this before! They had a layer of water in the bottom of their tank and the T would fish.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Fish is fine but messy and stinky.

If you want a spider that fishes, consider Dolomedes triton- thats the most aquatic of the genus and readily captures fish. The other dolomedes tend to be tree or rock dwellers instead- tenebrosus is mostly seen on trees.