• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ventilation and safe materials?

Peaceful Waterfall

3 Year Member
I used a hot needle to make air holes in a plastic container, but how can I tell if there are enough for proper ventilation? I don't want to suffocate it!

Could anyone let me know what types of glue are safe to use?
What about plastic plants? Do those need to be "pet store" plants, or could they be from a craft store?

Also, does there NEED to be cork bark and moss?

I'm picking up my first T tomorrow and am pretty much done with the enclosure except for those things since I wasn't sure what was good to use yet. I just want to make sure everything is perfect!

Therasoid

3 Year Member
OK, in a 16 oz. deli cup at least 3 rows completely around will be adequate. Best to have too many, than not enough. Too few can create condensation build up to hazardous levels. Often the reason of many Avic deaths.
I've used several different hot glues and no adverse effects to date. Aquarium safe silicone adhesive can be used safely, others contain antimicrobial components and are toxic.
Cork is what the majority of keepers use. Its lightweight, moisture resistant, resistant to most of the molds and fungi common in the hobby. Alternatives such as small clay pots, bamboo, pieces of PVC pipe (sanded and smoothed) can be used.
I use moss in some enclosures but its for aesthetic purposes. In the more moisture dependent species, such as Hysterocrates sp. and a few Asian burrowers, helps keep the humidity level high for their needs.
Hope this helps.

Peaceful Waterfall

3 Year Member
Thanks so much! I've got some aquarium silicone laying around from refurbishing fish tanks, so I'll go ahead and use that!

I have been having a hard time finding cork bark locally (maybe looking in the wrong places) so maybe I'll try bamboo for now... I think I can find that, at least.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
On that fake plants, I would use ones with plastic leaves. Some are made from silk and these will mold over time. So plastic plants last longer.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Thanks so much! I've got some aquarium silicone laying around from refurbishing fish tanks, so I'll go ahead and use that!

I have been having a hard time finding cork bark locally (maybe looking in the wrong places) so maybe I'll try bamboo for now... I think I can find that, at least.
Should have added "cholla cactus wood", its a natural alternative to cork. Difficult to obtain large, 2-1/2"+ diameter pieces, but the small ones are inexpensive. An avid hiker, living in AZ., is going to collect and ship a box of it to me. Talk about a friend!!