• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent help needed!

G-Johnson

3 Year Member
I have a Mexican Red Knee she/he is around 1-2yrs old. Has always been healthy.

First off let me start by saying, this has never happened before but yes please call me a terrible owner, yes please call me all the things under the sun because as far as I'm concerned I'm a complete and utter idiot.

A few days ago I gave Lilot a locust, the locust went on the missing list so I had presumed she had eaten it. Lilot then went into molt (I'm unsure when as I missed it) as of tonight I have just checked her and noticed she looks a little crumpled (she seems really weak and will hardly move) and is missing the bottom section of one of her legs, on inspection worried sick hidden deep within her burrow was the LOCUST. He has disturbed her whole molt that's for sure and I don't think she lost her leg due to the molt but the locust eating it. Has this stressed her out so much she's now dying?

I'm so angry and upset at myself that this could happen but my main priority right now is her. What should I do? The leg which is missing the bottom section has dirt attached to it from her viv. I'm so scared. I don't want her to die, she's one of my babies.

Please someone tell me what to do!!

UPDATE: I have made her a ICU and will check in her later to see if this revives her. Still not sure about her leg??

Last edited:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
We all have made a mistake with a T, don't beat yourself, it happens to the best of us.
Remove locust immediately, the damage is done.
If the molting hasn't completed yet, leave it alone until its finished. Is any liquid oozing from the wound? If yes, take some corn starch and dust the wound. This will clot the wound and prevent further blood loss.
The tarantula may, on its own, detach the bad leg. In doing so will speed a molt process to enable regeneration of a new one. This may take several molt cycles though.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.