• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upgrade

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I upgraded my B.smithi enclosure. There are 3 succulents and some other plant in there. She has a half log and a log with moss covering the log.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419289346943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419289346943.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419289363984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419289363984.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68

Frances Pauli

3 Year Member
Looks nice. Does your smithi tolerate that much humidity well? Mine would not abide moisture in her cage and would fill up her water dish with substrate every time I even tried to water her.
I like the succulents. Never managed to do live plants, but I always loved how it looks. :)

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Looks pretty OK to me. Will be better once that sub dries out and even better if you get rid of the light! On a good note the light will dry out the sub faster. Seriously, your T does not need that light. Did you know they don't have eye lids or that the heat from the light can actually dry your T out?

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
The light is for the plants, the tank is not by a window so I bought a proper plant light for the plants. I am hoping the substrate dries out quickly with the light on the tank as well, she is still small, about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in size, so some humidity to help molt will be good.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
Also the humidity is high since I had to break a eco earth block apart with warm water. The substrate is a mix of eco earth, mushroom mulch, and sand.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
The light is for the plants, the tank is not by a window so I bought a proper plant light for the plants. I am hoping the substrate dries out quickly with the light on the tank as well, she is still small, about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in size, so some humidity to help molt will be good.
Tarantulas HATE bright light. I would remove the plants and keep the tarantulas best interests in mind.

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Please heed our warnings to remove the light. Just as the light has the ability to dry out the sub it will also dry out your little T. It is your responsibility as a pet owner to meet your pets needs by caring for it properly. If you want a living vivarium do it without the T in the tank. Please.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I am curiouse do LED cause T's problems? If so ill try to change things around, also the light is not that bright either, the poor quality of the pictures makes it look a lot more bright than what it is. I know the range it is putting out is in the 5000 wavelenght, it is blue cool light.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
B. smithis like it dry, and tarantulas do not like bright light. In my opinion, this is not a species that would be appropriate to set up a living terrarium with, as the plants' needs (sunlight and water) do NOT work with the Ts needs.

She needs dry substrate. The next time you re-hydrate a brick of ecoearth, bake it in a foil turkey pan in an oven on low heat until it is dry. Don't put it in with an animal that doesn't like web substrate to sit on until it finally dries out. How large is the tank? The pictures makes it look quite high, which means when the T climbs to try to escape the moist sub, it could fall and injure itself. Also, terrestrials can get their feet caught in the screens, leaving them dangling precariously and leading to possibly injury from fall or loss of limb.

And the light should definitely go.

You have several folks on here telling you that, although your new setup looks very nice, it is NOT appropriate for your animal. Although I think that we can all appreciate the creativity that went into the design and layout, it is just not at all right for the species you are trying to keep.

Last edited:

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
B. smithis like it dry, and tarantulas do not like bright light. In my opinion, this is not a species that would be appropriate to set up a living terrarium with, as the plants' needs (sunlight and water) do NOT work with the Ts needs.

She needs dry substrate. The next time you re-hydrate a brick of ecoearth, bake it in a foil turkey pan in an oven on low heat until it is dry. Don't put it in with an animal that doesn't like web substrate to sit on until it finally dries out. How large is the tank? The pictures makes it look quite high, which means when the T climbs to try to escape the moist sub, it could fall and injure itself. Also, terrestrials can get their feet caught in the screens, leaving them dangling precariously and leading to possibly injury from fall or loss of limb.

And the light should definitely go.

You have several folks on here telling you that, although your new setup looks very nice, it is NOT appropriate for your animal. Although I think that we can all appreciate the creativity that went into the design and layout, it is just not at all right for the species you are trying to keep.
The tank is dry now and was almost dry when she was put in, the plants get a little water every 2nd week or so right on top of them or by the roots so the humidity stays low(my room is also dry), after a watering the humidity only goes up to 15% by the plants and about 0% where she lives. The tank is not tall, little less than a foot in hight. I know T's hate bright light, that is why the plant light is on for a short time about every other day and she has a hide that stays dark even with the light on. Also the mesh layer inside the tank is something we used to keep fruit flys trapped in breeding containers, I feel like she should not have a hooked claw issue, I also had a rose hair in the tank a long time ago and she was fine as well with the lid.

I am taking people's advice seriously for what to do with her and make sure she has a healthy long life.

Latest posts