• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown slings....... luck or not?

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
True story. I sent people to go buy me a curly hair sling. They came back with the sling in a little plastic container. I had a sling glass holder so transfered the contents from one to the other. To my surprise the was another sling hiding inside the peat. The are definately tarantula family. But one is grey in color and the other cream in color. They are about 7mm in size. How can I see what type of tarantula's they are at this small stage? I browsed through thousands of sling pictures, but most similar but not exact.

TJB13

3 Year Member
I wonder if they are the same. Maybe the one has just recently molted and has a different color. You would have to talk to the people that sold them. A two for one is always awesome. Seems very clumsy to have different species in the same container. Maybe the person selling them had a lot to get rid of and just put two in.

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
yes TJB, I split them as soon as I saw the other one. I did call the petshop, the sales lady had this to say: "two differnt ones had slings. The one is a curly hair and the other I cannot remember. But if you tell the owner you got two in one container he wil insist you return it, so look at it as a christmas present". I will try and describe them. The one is creamish with a dark grey spot on the back. This as far as I can trace as per foto's is a curly. The other is dark grey, same shape etc, with a slight pink shine on the sides of the rear end. The creamy one burrows and hides in the substrate, but the grey one seems to just be living and enjoying the top and like climbing the glass box, where the other is hardly seen. Both have an extremely good apitite. Have them for 3 days now and they have taken about 6 pinheads each.

TJB13

3 Year Member
Hmmm yeah tough to say. Seems rude to ask for it back seeing how it was there mistake. The one sounds like my B albiceps. A lot of slings look similar so I have no idea. I'll post a pic of my albiceps. It's a shame they can't remember what their breeding. Just have to wait and see. Post some clear pics as it grows and somebody might be able to identify it. I don't own a B albopilosum so can't be specific there. image.jpg

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
That's similar to the creamish one. And also see what you mean with similarity since I saw a pic of a curly sling that looks like mine too. Time wil tell. Will keep an eye for when and after they have molten. In the meantime I will dream that one is a pinktoe or a cobalt. They are extremely pricey over here. But hey even if it's a mutated curly, it's already part of the family.

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
Don't have a button like that, and when I click on the button under media, it just refreshes the page. I posted them on my facebook page. My user name is my real name, so if you want have a look there. Sucks being a noob. It's under mobile uploads and first baby pic of Charlotte and Arachni

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Click the view full size on your facebook photo then right click copy the URL then post reply here and enclose the web address in between [ img ] [/ img ] .. no spaces in between brackets

That's how i do with all my pet photos on the different forums i'm in since i don't have photobucket or flikr

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
Agree, they seem a lot bigger when you look at them, but realise how small they realy are once you pic up a camera. Lol. Thanks for all the assistance. Will keep you guys up to date on them.