• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown Baboon Sling

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I think it may well be an S calceatum. Serious venom.
Will need an arboreal setup with a couple inches to burrow in as still a sling. Watch those fingers lol

I think it may well be an S calceatum. Serious venom.
Will need an arboreal setup with a couple inches to burrow in as still a sling. Watch those fingers lol
The t was rehoused for a arboreal species, has plenty of substrate to dig. Thanks so much for everyone's help on identifying, will have to say very unhappy he was identified differently but all in all I'm very happy with this sling

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Being fair, no. But, the resemblance with this sling and S Calceatum is identical. Going by markings, I havent seen an obt sling with the same black markings on the head.
Looks like a few different baboon slings to me...time will tell.

New2T’s

I’d say S. Calceatum bc of carapace markings. They are fuzzy and beautiful, but crazy fast and very potent venom. Congrats on your new T. I jus left FedEx from picking up couple slings

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Photo of each. I'm going more towards H.mac too because of the pattern on the cephalo-thorax

H maculata
DSCF3434a.jpg

S. calceatum
DSCF4732 (2).JPG

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
After seeing your newer photos it does look more of a H mac. They are such similar looking t's though, the differences are quite subtle at that size. The people who've been saying H mac all along have raised them from slings so its a safe bet that is what it is :)