• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

underground ambush

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So i have 3 Ts now that attack prey from under the substrate. Really cool to watch :)

A. seemanni "Zeb" has his burrow against the wall of the enclosure and the opening covered with substrate. Like a trapdoor spider he waits for the roach to run over the small mound he's created. Then like a horror flick he snags them and pulls them under the sub into his burrow.

Pcam "Caesar" has webbed almost the whole floor of the enclosure and covered it with substrate. If you watch closely you can see him moving underneath at times. When a roach is dropped in his enclosure it will run around a bit and then get pulled underneath the sub to be eaten.

H. triseriatus "Linus" is kind of a mix between Zeb and Caesar. He has maybe half his enclosure webbed and substrate covering the web. he sits in his burrow just under the camo net of web and waits for a roach to come by.

I'm curious what other species "hunt" like this?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I adore the pcam's those dirt webs are fantastic. Mine is so quiet and placid now. Till meal.time 0.o
About the only thing other then that is my one porteri who digs for her food. Leaves little finger size holes all around. Cute to see. Since she's molted and probably won't again for a year or so, I dropped about five meal worms in there. She'll be frozen in her spot and suddenly alert. Dash across her container and start digging, then come out with a mealworm.

(You know...funny enough no mites in her container...)

Will

3 Year Member
In my two OBT enclosures I have a bent section of bark that I have laid in a sort of dog-leg shaped wall. They have both made dirt covered ramps with their web along the entire lengths of the walls.

Like your T's they will punch their legs through the web/dirt and drag the pray underneath to their doom. Great to watch.

I have seen my GBB do it once too, she actually punctured the cricket with both fangs through the roof she had made out of substrate and web.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In my two OBT enclosures I have a bent section of bark that I have laid in a sort of dog-leg shaped wall. They have both made dirt covered ramps with their web along the entire lengths of the walls.

Like your T's they will punch their legs through the web/dirt and drag the pray underneath to their doom. Great to watch.

I have seen my GBB do it once too, she actually punctured the cricket with both fangs through the roof she had made out of substrate and web.
My son got a wild hair to rehouse his gbb a couple weeks after after its last molt. She had sealed up both ends of her web tunnel after her first post molt feeding. Kept chasing the roaches running on the other side of the web but she wouldn't make an opening to get them.

He thought he should help. Now she's rebuilt her web but hasn't made tunnels. 80% or so of the substrate is covered in web. Somehow she missed the water dish and that end lol.

So now instead of waiting for the roach to get near her tunnel she'll bolt from clear across the enclosure to get the roach when it lands on her web.

I remember she did this when she was small also. Interesting to see her go back to a previous "method"

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, found a spot in my heart already when I transferred it last night to its new enclosure after I got it. I didn't even got the chance to blink! It teleported from the container to its new enclosure so fast that I got goosebumps afterwards. :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, found a spot in my heart already when I transferred it last night to its new enclosure after I got it. I didn't even got the chance to blink! It teleported from the container to its new enclosure so fast that I got goosebumps afterwards. :D
lol quickest arboreal. and with venom like that....something to respect! :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol quickest arboreal. and with venom like that....something to respect! :)
I though OBTs are terrestrial, but I guess it is a little bit of both. Hmmn, I already have a setup in mind for this little one. Once it can't fit the vent holes, I will be rehousing this to its adult enclosure. :D

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Our Smithi sling when it had an extensive network of burrows sometimes would burst out of the soil were their was no entrance and grab the cricket. then bring it back under.

Latest posts