• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T's and lights

pokie99

3 Year Member
Something off topic. I'm keeping ants and they also can't see red light.
A couple of days ago I bought a red laser. I was interested to see if the spiders would react to it. I even pointed it to the eyes of one of them in the end but there was no response. Now I know why.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Something off topic. I'm keeping ants and they also can't see red light.
A couple of days ago I bought a red laser. I was interested to see if the spiders would react to it. I even pointed it to the eyes of one of them in the end but there was no response. Now I know why.
Even low intensity laser pointers can cause severe eye damage.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
Yeah I def would never shine a laser into my it's eyes man that will def blind em' ... but I did buy a nice little led with a red light and they don't seem bothered at all...

pokie99

3 Year Member
Oh, ok. Thank you. I was interested in seeing if the tarantula would react to the laser in its enclosure and would attack it as if it was a cricket (cats attack it). She didn't and I pointed it at her eyes for just a second so I'm not too concerned.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Split second I think is still to much. Your talking about a laser beam many times larger than their eyes

pokie99

3 Year Member
I won't do it again. I wouldn't have done it again even if you hadn't told me it was bad. I haven't done it before. It was a mistake. Thank you for the advice.

corij

3 Year Member
You are not bothering or harming them. If you want to watch them, unnoticed, get a red lens for your flashlight. Most tarantula are blind to the red spectrum. They are extremely sensitive to the ultraviolet spectrum.
i didnt know that about the UV light . iv been using a UV bulb in my terrarium as thats what it came with i bought my terrarium secondhand , i think it had frogs in it previously . my spider [red rump ] sits below the lamp i hope its not doing any harm.

CritterKeeper79

T's are absolutely bothered by flashlights and bright lights. Ever notice if u shine it at them, they move around, or turn away? I have a flashlight with red light, which is just about invisible to them. U can shine it at them, and watch them all u want, and they'll sit there like nothing's wrong. There has been a test done, and it's proven that they cannot see the red light.
I bought a bright little red LED flashlight in ebay for $10. It's bright as can be, uses rechargeable batteries, and it's just less annoying to the T's
No, I haven’t noticed it yet. I use my phone flashlight. Most of them freeze in place, like deer or just don’t seem to care. Now if I touch an enclosure or gently move it, some will hide. My H. maculata seems to be drawn out by the light. Don’t know if it’s associated it with food coming or not? I usually feed them them but the lights and use my flashlight to watch. Wow! That sounds weird but that’s what I do. :D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Red if you don't want to upset anyone

I use these
Screenshot_20210417-093617.png

And these
Screenshot_20210417-093537.png

Latest posts