• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

trapdoor spiders

Nunua

3 Year Member
For me, there is nothing more exciting in my collection than when my Trapdoors feed. And I mean nothing! Wouldn't recommend them for a first spider as they are never out. But if you have lots of other inverts, they are a fantastic addition. I put together some custom enclosures. I had acrylic rods made and cemented them into the middle of my enclosures to force them to burrow next to the sides. Works somewhat but you need to get lucky. I probably gave them too much space. Here they are:

Enclosure11_zps4f32a036.png

I can't help it, but now "I've got a jar of dirt!" video from YouTube is stuck in my head :D

micheldied

3 Year Member
As far as I know about Trapdoors;

They're pretty tough to correctly identify, but they'er pretty much all kept the same. They're pretty much jars of dirt, and you'll almost never see them. I've heard that many can be very finicky eaters as well, and won't feed often. Also, they're almost all wild caught and can come in with problems.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As far as I know about Trapdoors;

They're pretty tough to correctly identify, but they'er pretty much all kept the same. They're pretty much jars of dirt, and you'll almost never see them. I've heard that many can be very finicky eaters as well, and won't feed often. Also, they're almost all wild caught and can come in with problems.
huh, all the videos i've watched show them as ferocious predators ;) but then again i wonder how often they're fed. WC with issues is a downer.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I generally feed mine weekly. Definitely eat only when they are hungry. So, if they do not take down the cricket within a day, I remove them. Per Kormath, they are DEFINITELY ferocious predators. I have not seen any other spider strike as fast and furiously as Trapdoors. Keeps them high up on my favorite list in my collection.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most non-tarantula spiders are wild caught unfortunately. Not enough interest in the hobby for breeders as of yet. But optimistic it will catch on and you will see CB being offered. There are a few breeders out there now but mostly just hobbyists who have taken it to the next level.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been watching the vendor websites i find these on, waiting to see what's available when i can make the purchase :) love that video!! i've watched it countless times :D

tuko

3 Year Member
trapdoors are really cool just dont expect to see them hunting up close and personal. Feeding happens in milliseconds so get that camera ready and slow down the playback :) IMO