• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Toxicity level

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i meant poisonous to the touch not toxic for human consumption. My bad. Are there any Tarantulas In the 4-5” size range that are safe for handling? For me the bigger the better.
No tarantulas are toxic to the touch or possess any toxins but we world species do have urticating hairs that cause itching and some of the worst hairs could cause a rash.
Handling isn’t recommend as it’s potentially dangerous for any T as a fall from even small heights can cause a rupture.
However, if you did want to get a T specifically to handle you can’t go far wrong with an Aphonopelma Chalcodes. Bare in mind thou that a tarantula cannot “learn” that it’s being handled and won’t get used to it. One day it can be fine, the next it can bite or kick hair.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's not a safe handling pet, regardless of species.

Some Ts are "safer" than others for new keepers to keep, both in temperment and speed, but also how tolerant they are of husbandry mistakes new keepers make.

There are definitely are more characteristically docile, less defensive species which makes them more suitable to beginning keepers than others.

If someone were very apt to understanding "what works" and were able to provide the correct housing conditions and care, it's arguable you can be successful with almost any species; but you can't get experience by osmosis online.

Start with a basic tarantula that is both hardy and attractive. Almost any Brachypelma, Grammostola, maybe even B. smithi or B. hamorii. Higher cost of entry for a juvenile or adult, but an otherwise slow grower from a sling. Grammostola pulchripes also already mentioned, is a good choice and classic looking, long-lived species.

B. albopilosum was our first tarantula, a "safer" and more docile species. A display animal, it didn't hide much as an adult. I never felt the need to handle it, nor did the T ever express a desire to be held by me, or anyone else.

They are cute, and some furry, but none are cuddly by nature. Individual animals vary in personality and temperament.

Last edited:

Latest posts