• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much coco fiber

Calico

3 Year Member
I purchased a brick of Eco Earth Coco Fiber because they didn't have the loose stuff. I followed the instructions to loosen it up and realized that now I have TONS of the stuff! We have no sun today in CA but lots of rain. Not complaining as we need it but now I have this wet substrate that I need to dry by tomorrow. It is now in a low temp oven to hopefully speed up drying. Now my question is, since I won't be using it all, can the unused be stored safely after it has been expanded? Also, any suggestions on how to dry faster?? This is what I get for waiting until the last minute :confused:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put mine in a roasting tin about 1" deep and put it in the oven straight after I have cooked a meal and switched the oven off. I find by repeating again next day the sub is dry. A low oven will do the same but be careful not to burn it and give it a stir every now and again.
If I have a full block but only want enough to do a few containers I put an inch of water in a bowl and place one end of the block in at an angle, then let it soak until the water has been absorbed. This way only part of the block softens and can be broken away easily.
Any unused sub can be stored in a plastic bag/box until needed.

Calico

3 Year Member
I put mine in a roasting tin about 1" deep and put it in the oven straight after I have cooked a meal and switched the oven off. I find by repeating again next day the sub is dry. A low oven will do the same but be careful not to burn it and give it a stir every now and again.
If I have a full block but only want enough to do a few containers I put an inch of water in a bowl and place one end of the block in at an angle, then let it soak until the water has been absorbed. This way only part of the block softens and can be broken away easily.
Any unused sub can be stored in a plastic bag/box until needed.

Lesson learned!
I've got two pans in the oven now. And still have so much more left. As long as I have enough dry to put new T in I'll worry about the rest later. May have to break out the hair dryer. Thanks for the advice!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lesson learned!
I've got two pans in the oven now. And still have so much more left. As long as I have enough dry to put new T in I'll worry about the rest later. May have to break out the hair dryer. Thanks for the advice!

Don't use a hair drier, it'll blow the sub everywhere :D:rolleyes:

Calico

3 Year Member
Whatever you do, don't leave a tub of wet sub drying in the sun. I did that once and in a one day period I had a horde of mites infesting it..

Luckily we have no sunshine for next couple of days. I'm drying in the oven and is doing a great job. Hopefully anything living in there will be cooked!

Calico

3 Year Member
Why was that funny aha. I was completely serious. I find using oven and micro etc just heats up the moisture instead of drying it effectively.

Nothing beats hot air with room to breathe

I was able to dry enough for what I needed in the oven. Low temp and took a few hours. I did find that in the beginning it "steamed" alot but after stirring it every 15 mins or so, it began to stop and actually dry. Husband suggested putting in pillow case and put in dryer. Yeah, that would have been a fun mess to clean up! And I think a hairdryer with a diffuser would have worked in as well. That was my next choice.

All great suggestions and I thank all of you! Now waiting for my girl to arrive today!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you don't want to use heat, try putting it into a very small closet with a dehumidifier set on high to run continually.

I don't mess with the bricks. I just buy bags of eco earth and be happy.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, it's just like any other type of substrate in a bag. No assembly required for it to work. Pour it in the enclosure and you're done. Of course, some prefer to add a wee bit of moisture.

Latest posts