• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Repticon or not to Repticon?

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Hey gang hope everyone (and their T's) have enjoyed the summer:) I have to say I've learned so much the past few months taking care of my spiders. From molts to unfortunate deaths and an escape:-( I've finally gotten in a comfort zone of sorts when feeding and doing maintenance around my animals (yay!). At this point I looking ahead to Repticon here in Norfolk,Va and wonder is it worth the price of admission to go? I am looking to pick up an N. Tripepii and maybe another GBB or a G. Pulchripes..so many choices..lol. I'm also wondering if there is a "beginner" Baboon species? They seem pretty interesting when their not trying to eat your face off..lol. As always thanks for any input and info:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thing is you get a way better deal from the breeders face to face then online. Plus most likely you'll meet some local breeders and you'll have a year round hookup without shipping costs. I love expos.. I fill my backpack with slings pay $10 to get in and trade away.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just go and see what's up. You don't have to buy anything just because you go there.

For a first OW, it's best to think about the size first even more then the species. I'd suggest between 1" - 2" DLS & no more then that. As they grow, you will simply grow with the spider.

For species, either H pulchripes or M balfouri (or maybe even 2 or 3 because they're communal and do better that way) are 2 good ones. Neither is a mean spider, just fast and flighty.

Did I mention both are drop dead gorgeous?

Use care when unpacking and rehousing. Let them burrow and get fully settled in before feeding. Put a small hole in the lid of your enclosure just big enough for a dropper or syringe directly over the water dish so you don't have to open it to water them.

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Lol..ok guys I've decided to go. I'm hoping there will be some nice selections there and maybe I can pick up 2 or 3 new T's. Not quite sure if I'm ready for a communal but will do some research. Will put an update up after the expo:)

Latest posts