• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tliltocatl vagans Spun web mat but won’t molt

NeverBeenBasic

Hi I’m fairly new to the arachnid world and very new to the forum thank you for having me . I own a Tliltocatl vagans that I’ve had for 2 years now . Leg span is maybe 3+1/2” . It hasn’t eaten in a while and it got sluggish so I assumed it’s premolt but her abdomen is shrinking slightly . Yesterday morning I woke up to it spinning a web mat while it was upside down so I was almost positive it was going to molt but it didn’t . It later layed on top of the mat all day until night then it’s looking for areas to escape its enclosure . I keep a fresh water dish in the enclosure and I usually feed crickets or Dubai roaches . It used to be a ferocious eater and for maybe the last month and a half it hasn’t touched anything . Its developed a bald spot on its abdomen a week ago . I’ve been doing a lot of research and it all tells me to leave it alone and make sure it has water but I’d like hear anyone else’s input i Love to learn and I want to own a healthy T . I also have a smaller curly hair and it eats great and looks great . Sorry for referring to my T as “it” so much as I haven’t sexed them . Thank you !

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
Sometimes it is good to be basic.
Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the proper section. As many of us are eager to chime in and help, it is fairly hard to recommend anything without being able to see your T and enclosure, please provide us with pictures at your earliest convenience and welcome to the forum.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20171107_113523.jpg

Sitting in his sleeping bag... ;)

NeverBeenBasic

Hi,
Sometimes it is good to be basic.
Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the proper section. As many of us are eager to chime in and help, it is fairly hard to recommend anything without being able to see your T and enclosure, please provide us with pictures at your earliest convenience and welcome to the forum.
I apologize if I came off rude I am currently at work and found this forum this morning while here . I will properly introduce my T’s when I get home today .

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have not noticed those no , they are just round and bulb-like
Those are it's pedipalps and boxing glove aka round and bulb-like would indicate a mature male

the behavior you describe, is as the clown linked, and I immediately suspected; sperm webbing

You may have a mature male (which I could use lol)

NeverBeenBasic

Thank you for the input ! What about what’s causing him to not eat and move extremely slow ? Also if he is a mature male does that mean he has shed his last molt and he will be gone within a year or two ?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for the input ! What about what’s causing him to not eat and move extremely slow ? Also if he is a mature male does that mean he has shed his last molt and he will be gone within a year or two ?
Mature males are final stage, also called ultimate, meaning no more molts. He has 3-12 months to fulfill his purpose but most likely only virile for the first 3-4

Mature males will often not eat but please continue to provide him with water and offer food in case he does want to eat.

You way want to find a keeper with a lady vagans...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My male vagans in the past have lived another 2-4 years. You may need to hand feed him using bamboo tongs. They have a hard time grabbing food to eat. He should have water everyday and food every two to three weeks.