• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tibial hooks ??

Reb67

Hi, I'm Becky, I have 4 T's, I bought a Brazilian White & Black.. around 6/19/2023 (Nhandu Coloratovillous) (Ghost)
about a month or so I spotted Ghost some webbing, didn't think about it much due to it molting next to a few days later...
Anyway tonight I noticed Ghost pushing at its lid, which was really odd behavior .. when I started looking I thought pedipalps looked larger, & then noticed what I think are Tibial hooks.
Ghost was older when I bought, so not sure of actual age.
I'm adding pictures, not very good but hope someone can tell me.
Thanks
1). front legs( best pic.of what I see..) Tibial hooks?
2) sperm tent ?
3) leg - Tibial hooks ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_194611060.jpg
    IMG_20240916_194611060.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240916_193938862.jpg
    IMG_20240916_193938862.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,021
  • IMG_20240916_192625650.jpg
    IMG_20240916_192625650.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 17

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Love your term 'sperm tent' ahaha, yes defo a tent and hooks/boxing glove pedipalps :) they do tend to push on the lid when they mature and want to get out to find a lady.

A lot of people keep males in quite small enclosures to conserve their energy and live longer, but personally I feel too sad trapping them in when they want to get out. I have started rotating my males round the man enclosures, removing the sperm webs from the last one for the new one to move in for a few weeks/months. To give them a change of scenery :p ahaha, they seem happier that way and continue to make new sperm webs in hope of finding a lady in the new location. I know they never will but they don't know that ;) so I feel like that better replicates their ability in the wild to keep on roaming in hope.

Reb67

Love your term 'sperm tent' ahaha, yes defo a tent and hooks/boxing glove pedipalps :) they do tend to push on the lid when they mature and want to get out to find a lady.

A lot of people keep males in quite small enclosures to conserve their energy and live longer, but personally I feel too sad trapping them in when they want to get out. I have started rotating my males round the man enclosures, removing the sperm webs from the last one for the new one to move in for a few weeks/months. To give them a change of scenery :p ahaha, they seem happier that way and continue to make new sperm webs in hope of finding a lady in the new location. I know they never will but they don't know that ;) so I feel like that better replicates their ability in the wild to keep on roaming in hope.
Darn it.. as for my term "sperm tent", my brain was saying much worse, thought it was the most polite way to say it .
I do not have any other tanks ,smaller or bigger to transfer him to.. although I could change it up a bit, clean soil & new deco.. poor guy feel bad for him.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hubby agrees with you, he wants me to leave him alone... most likely will, i have some weight added to top so its not going anywhere, he can't get out.. ( hubby's main concern):T:
Re stressing them I do only move them if they are trying to get out btw - open lid and they move themselves ;) but yeah sounds like your hubby wouldn't like that! I do sometimes hear creepy creeky sounds of the fangs against the plastic trying to break free... it adds to the haunted house vibe I like.

Reb67

Re stressing them I do only move them if they are trying to get out btw - open lid and they move themselves ;) but yeah sounds like your hubby wouldn't like that! I do sometimes hear creepy creeky sounds of the fangs against the plastic trying to break free... it adds to the haunted house vibe I like.
Haven't heard anything like that yet, although it's does sound cool, no hissing either..don't this species hiss though...

Tarantula Trooper

3 Year Member
Funny! I hear my X. Sp. Blue MM moving his water bowls around! Occasionally I hear others tinking acrylic but nothing like that sp. Blue..lol

Latest posts