• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thrixopelma ockerti ??

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Considering one of these but finding mixed care sheets and info,
some say terrestrial others say semi arboreal
anyone here have one that can give me correct info,

remembering I'm new to owning T's

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its also called the peruvian tree spider so that name suggests arboreal...but im am no expert. ive always heard they were burrowers...lol reading back that wasnt much help at all was it...lol sorry. id like to know too. :)

timc

3 Year Member
I've never owned or had any experience with this species but if you're having trouble finding specific care requirements a good place to start is looking up its native habitat ie: country of origin, climate, geography ect... This will give you an idea of the conditions in which the spider thrives. I'm sure someone on this forum will have some species specific advice for you too though. Good luck.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never had one of those, though they are on my list. Every youtube video I've seen of them shows terrestrial enclosures, but people have been wrong about species before. Very awesome tarantula though, and gorgeous..and I believe they get pretty large, if I remember correctly. 7 or 8 inches? I could be wrong. Get back to us!

timc

3 Year Member
Alrighty, time to get off my lazy rump and do some serious research, I rather like the look of them ^^ I'll post what I find :p
Please do! I just looked it up after I posted and I must say you have me interested in that spider now too!

Fleas

3 Year Member
Ya what a great t on my want list :) it a new world arboreal here some info I got from swiftinvertsPeruvian Pink Rump (Thrixopelma ockerti)
3", $55 each, Hatched at Swift's!!
Beautiful and quite rare as spiderlings in the U.S. hobby, T. ockerti is an awesome Peruvian arboreal, that many confused it as being terrestrial, because of the genus Thrixopelma. Overall dark green, with bright pink abdomenal setae! This particular species is very special to me, and this hatching represents Swift's Invertebrates 100th successfully hatched tarantula species! Reaching 6" as adults, Don't pass on this fantastic spider!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ya what a great t on my want list :) it a new world arboreal here some info I got from swiftinvertsPeruvian Pink Rump (Thrixopelma ockerti)
3", $55 each, Hatched at Swift's!!
Beautiful and quite rare as spiderlings in the U.S. hobby, T. ockerti is an awesome Peruvian arboreal, that many confused it as being terrestrial, because of the genus Thrixopelma. Overall dark green, with bright pink abdomenal setae! This particular species is very special to me, and this hatching represents Swift's Invertebrates 100th successfully hatched tarantula species! Reaching 6" as adults, Don't pass on this fantastic spider!
That's a decent price for a 3" specimen..well, then there's shipping...still, not bad. And arboreal..hmmm, just moved up on my list.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, not getting much here, and a good majority is conflicting....no, most of it is conflicting.
so, none of this is factual just a rough gathering of what I've found so far.

Thrixopelma ockerti

common names: Peruvian orange rump/Peru flame rump/Flame Rump Tree Spider

varied size but all agree at least 6"
Mixed notions about habitat, the few 'I' can find who have kept them
say they prefer a semi arboreal set up once grown to juvenile, (or larger)
opportunistic burrowers as slings (aren't they all? lol)
Extremely skittish and prone to kicking hair. Very fast, they prefer mostly dry substrate,
temperatures leaning towards warm. (huge span of recommendations)

One who managed to breed keeps them in arboreal set ups, dry substrate with a full larger shallow water dish and good ventilation.

0ne post recommends Weekly misting as the species is found naturally
in an area with heavy seasonal rains hence the arboreal aspect.

I couldn't find anything with definite temps or humidity, as they varied to much to be certain on it.
Everyone seems to agree that this is an extremely nervous skittish spider that kicks a lot of hairs however.
Sorry guys am still looking, just so varied from post to post hard to be sure of much.

so Frustrated, guess this ones not for me lol

edit:: taking that back, I may get a sling and see how it goes, I really really want this T and was planning on an arboreal eventually anyway , saw some slings for $25.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, not getting much here, and a good majority is conflicting....no, most of it is conflicting.
so, none of this is factual just a rough gathering of what I've found so far.

Thrixopelma ockerti

common names: Peruvian orange rump/Peru flame rump/Flame Rump Tree Spider

varied size but all agree at least 6"
Mixed notions about habitat, the few 'I' can find who have kept them
say they prefer a semi arboreal set up once grown to juvenile, (or larger)
opportunistic burrowers as slings (aren't they all? lol)
Extremely skittish and prone to kicking hair. Very fast, they prefer mostly dry substrate,
temperatures leaning towards warm. (huge span of recommendations)

One who managed to breed keeps them in arboreal set ups, dry substrate with a full larger shallow water dish and good ventilation.

0ne post recommends Weekly misting as the species is found naturally
in an area with heavy seasonal rains hence the arboreal aspect.

I couldn't find anything with definite temps or humidity, as they varied to much to be certain on it.
Everyone seems to agree that this is an extremely nervous skittish spider that kicks a lot of hairs however.
Sorry guys am still looking, just so varied from post to post hard to be sure of much.

so Frustrated, guess this ones not for me lol

edit:: taking that back, I may get a sling and see how it goes, I really really want this T and was planning on an arboreal eventually anyway , saw some slings for $25.
That's probably about all you'll find. In most cases, dry substrate, room temp, (I keep it at 75, 72 at night, a nice happy medium) lots of ventilation and a large water dish will keep your spider happy. If I were you I wouldn't be discouraged by the lack of clear data...get one, and experiment for yourself :) Try spraying water in an area near whatever arboreal decorations you use, see if it hangs there a lot. Or spray one side of the enclosure wall, or plant, or cork bark. See how the spider likes it. If he moves away from it and avoids the area, you'll know he doesn't like it :) Half the fun is in experimentation, and observing how they react to changes like temperature and humidity. These spiders are a lot more adaptable then people give them credit for. I think this is because experienced keepers see something that works, and believe it's the best, or only way, so they naturally spread that advice around. I don't blame them for that, but many seem to be very resistant to new ideas, or changes in care, and will argue against such things. My suggestion is, if you want it, get it, and learn from it. Just my opinion. :) Ahh, I didn't see the fine print, my bad Kymura! Excellent idea:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus My only issue is somehow hurting the spider,
but I do have average intelligence so I am going to take the plunge, cross my fingers and adjust as you said till it seems content.
I don't mind the attitude or it being fast, I honestly like a bit of attitude,
I have no intention of annoying it or handling it other the transfers to a bigger enclosure as needed.
I know there there are others that are similar to that one but it just calls to me, saw a picture and started searching for it ^^
Doing my budget now to see if I can purchase :p
Now, one quick question, should I give even a sling an area to climb or wait till its a bit bigger, the ones I saw are very small. (half inch)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
but I do have average intelligence so I am going to take the plunge, cross my fingers and adjust as you said till it seems content.
I have no intention of annoying it or handling it other the transfers to a bigger enclosure as needed.
I know there there are others that are similar to that one but it just calls to me, saw a picture and started searching for it ^^
Doing my budget now to see if I can purchase :p
Now, one quick question, should I give even a sling an area to climb or wait till its a bit bigger, the ones I saw are very small. (half inch)
It's up to you, it may or may not use it. I give arboreals a small piece of plastic plant to climb or not climb as they see fit. They see me a lot at the dollar store :p My avic slings used them, as well as my P metallica. It gives them the option to climb if you're experimenting with misting or if they don't want to dig for some reason. Edit: I usually use green leafy plastic plants, but I gave my metallica one with a flower, she used to like sitting in it :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That.s good enough for me, I'm a regular at our dollar store, lately been looking at their containers deciding what's what and usable, my son saved me his parmesan cheese container for a container as well lol same silly thing they sell for $4.99 not quite sure if its usable but I doubt the cheese would leave any residue after washing, besides it was the thought that counted.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That.s good enough for me, I'm a regular at our dollar store, lately been looking at their containers deciding what's what and usable, my son saved me his parmesan cheese container for a container as well lol same silly thing they sell for $4.99 not quite sure if its usable but I doubt the cheese would leave any residue after washing, besides it was the thought that counted.
Sure it's usable:) I keep juvie Avics in noodle containers:T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doing my budget now to see if I can purchase [emoji14]
You actually don't ever have to handle any tarantula when rehousing. How do you think those of us who keep species with medically significant venom Do this? [emoji14]

A paintbrush and deli cup is normally my preferred method of transferring fast/ defensive species. There's also something called the"bag method" that you may want to look into.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You actually don't ever have to handle any tarantula when rehousing. How do you think those of us who keep species with medically significant venom Do this? [emoji14]

A paintbrush and deli cup is normally my preferred method of transferring fast/ defensive species. There's also something called the"bag method" that you may want to look into.
Going to do my best to not handle at all, they certainly don't get anything out of it and I'm quite content just watching them be spiders :D Meant the only time I should have to annoy it in any way was for rehousing. Definitely going to have to get a longer handled paintbrush though, its one thing I haven't picked up yet.

and again, Thank all of you for the replies and advice, honestly makes a world of difference :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Emailed the vendor that has slings for sale. They said they keep them terrestrial with a good size water bowl and light misting. Also said to keep its 'home area' as dry as possible and that they are a hardy species.

If they still have them next week I'm going to set up a semi aboreal and see which it prefers. So it can climb a bit and make its choices. Others who successfully bred them say they keep them in aboreal set ups. I have no intention of breeding but I'd like it to be content in its enclosure.

Latest posts