• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thrixopelma ockerti position

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I realize I am no doubt annoying with the foolish questions,
And I do apologize for yet another of them.

My little T.ockerti sits in a most unusual position,
is this normal for arboreals or perhaps the species....
Or, is something wrong with her or her enclosure I need to address?
(S)he prefers being head down and her not so small abdomen seems to flop over onto her.
IMG_3834.JPG IMG_3832.JPG IMG_3833.JPG

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is just weird. I must say, I have never seen any of mine (arboreal or terrestrial) sit like that. I hope someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on this.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
('s)he eats, sips water from the droplets I dribble for her, moves around occasionally, but almost always sits that way.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is one of the species that raises it's abdomen to appear larger, like the P antinous and the M robustum. I'm thinking it's normal for these guys Kymura, she's probably just a weirdo and likes resting in that position. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol @RedCapTrio im not going to stop feeding her she's a baby :p
@MassExodus figures I'd get the weird one. She's so adorable, I really have such a soft spot for her. My G porteri is a weirdo too. Stuffs it's mouth then runs and sticks it's face in the corner to eat like someone's going to take it away.

Typos brought to you by autocorrect. My pc is down so phone dependant.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MassExodus is dead on. I have two, and both will raise their abdomens in the air as a defense posture in an effort to make themselves look larger. It's quite a cool behavior and totally normal.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus is dead on. I have two, and both will raise their abdomens in the air as a defense posture in an effort to make themselves look larger. It's quite a cool behavior and totally normal.
Thank you!, always good to hear from someone that actually has one:)

Latest posts