• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Theraposa Stirmi

prince charmless

Brought home today my first theraposa. It is about 6"dls, unsexed but possible female. Will be going into a 24"x18"x12" exo-terra that I already have on hand. Plan to set up bio-active. Top screen has already been replaced with drilled acrylic. Had my eye on this one for a while, but I needed to get my property taxes out of the way first. Grinning. About to celebrate with a Grolsch. Will post some pics when I get a chance to take some

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brought home today my first theraposa. It is about 6"dls, unsexed but possible female. Will be going into a 24"x18"x12" exo-terra that I already have on hand. Plan to set up bio-active. Top screen has already been replaced with drilled acrylic. Had my eye on this one for a while, but I needed to get my property taxes out of the way first. Grinning. About to celebrate with a Grolsch. Will post some pics when I get a chance to take some
Looking forward to the pictures my liege. I have the same setup you are making for my "big 3" females (blondi, aphosysis and stirmi). Bioactive setups and a lot of cross ventilation (I have a shop fan on an hourly schedule to move the air around the garage) are needed for these ladies who love a lot of humidity. Get yourself as well a pair of rubber gloves that go all the way to your shoulders. I use these:
1641928790364.png

They'll come handy (can't resist the pun) when doing cleanup as the T's hair will be all over the place and on all surfaces in the enclosure. These are some of the worst ones to get on your skin.
Can't wait for some updates on how he/she settles in the enclosure, cheers.

prince charmless

Looking forward to the pictures my liege. I have the same setup you are making for my "big 3" females (blondi, aphosysis and stirmi). Bioactive setups and a lot of cross ventilation (I have a shop fan on an hourly schedule to move the air around the garage) are needed for these ladies who love a lot of humidity. Get yourself as well a pair of rubber gloves that go all the way to your shoulders. I use these: View attachment 63073
They'll come handy (can't resist the pun) when doing cleanup as the T's hair will be all over the place and on all surfaces in the enclosure. These are some of the worst ones to get on your skin.
Understood. I have a pair Nhandu Chromatus that love to kick hairs as well as three 3"+ Lasiodora Parahybanas that I raised from ($15) slings. Urticating hairs are one of the reasons I tend to favor old worlds, but I wanted at least 1 Theraposa in my collection. If I get another, it will be an Apophysus, unless, of course, I run across a Blondi wonderfully cheap.

prince charmless

Ventrally sexing Theraphosa is rather easy. Drop a picture if you get it in a clear cup before rehousing.
A (compared to me) young lady that I know with extensive experience not to mention an extensive collection "suspects" this one may be a female. Waiting now on a molt. Still on the lookout for a C. Fimbriatus, and about to rehouse my electric blue. Busy

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Understood. I have a pair Nhandu Chromatus that love to kick hairs as well as three 3"+ Lasiodora Parahybanas that I raised from ($15) slings. Urticating hairs are one of the reasons I tend to favor old worlds, but I wanted at least 1 Theraposa in my collection. If I get another, it will be an Apophysus, unless, of course, I run across a Blondi wonderfully cheap.
Excellent but please keep in mind that I barely notice any other Ts' hair compared to the Theraphosa's ones. They are in a completely different ball park with the aphosysis having the worst of them all. None of mine are kicking hair but as they wonder around their enclosure these invisible fu@#$rs gets everywhere waiting on some nice skin to dig themselves in :cool:

neogold

Looking forward to the pictures my liege. I have the same setup you are making for my "big 3" females (blondi, aphosysis and stirmi). Bioactive setups and a lot of cross ventilation (I have a shop fan on an hourly schedule to move the air around the garage) are needed for these ladies who love a lot of humidity. Get yourself as well a pair of rubber gloves that go all the way to your shoulders. I use these: View attachment 63073
Oops - only have a small (2 inches or so) T aphosysis and only a pair of rubber gloves which will not make it to the elbow. Hope I can manage till it grows substantially (for which it should pickup it's eating habit again (probably after a molt))
Thanks for the warning.

Latest posts