• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Theraphosa blondi

AtomApple

Hello, Thanks for the add. I have a question about my Theraphosa blondi (Goliath bird eater). I've had her for about two months she was rather large when I purchased her, about 2.5 inch body length. She is now molting and unlike my other tarantula's she is not molting upside down but upside right, is this normal? She likes the humidity being on, when I shut it off, she would climb into the water bowl.

Attachments

• DavidA.mp4
    17.8 MB

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there. No, that is somewhat unusual. I've had avics fall out of their webbing while molting and finished as they lay.

Can you post a pic of the spider mid-molt?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I understand now. I thought it was actively molting dorsal side up. Not impossible for them to pop the hood and flip over.

The other behavior you describe however imply potential dehydration... do you keep the substrate moist?

Also, you're quite brave to handle T stirmi. Their urticating hairs are some of the worst of any species.

AtomApple

I understand now. I thought it was actively molting dorsal side up. Not impossible for them to pop the hood and flip over.

The other behavior you describe however imply potential dehydration... do you keep the substrate moist?

Also, you're quite brave to handle T stirmi. Their urticating hairs are some of the worst of any species.
I've realized she is fine as long as I keep the humidifier running. It's when I forget to turn it back on after refilling the tank that's she climbs into the water. Thanks for letting me know that is why she climbs into the water, I'll keep an eye on her more closely.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've realized she is fine as long as I keep the humidifier running. It's when I forget to turn it back on after refilling the tank that's she climbs into the water. Thanks for letting me know that is why she climbs into the water, I'll keep an eye on her more closely.
Read Tom Moran's blog re Theraposa husbandry. You don't need a fogger, foggers are BS for tarantulas. T stirmi needs deep, damp substrate to burrow in. A water dish that's full all the time for drinking, not bathing. Your tarantula is dehydrated.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here is a T. blondi female to show the difference as rightfully caught by @Arachnoclown.
9A44B6FA-B659-4C63-BBF6-AF28693CD948.jpeg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Think of humidity as a consequence, not something to achieve.

My stirmi's & blondi's are on moist substrate & have larger than normal water dishes. The mixture of a large water dish & moist substrate is higher humidity. But that is a consequence of how I keep them & not why I use damp substrate & a larger water dish.

Stirmi's & blondi's really need springtails in their substrate to stop mold. And if the substrate is not sufficiently moist for the springtails to thrive, then it is not sufficiently moist for your blondi / stirmi. Feed your springtails on dried yeast & they will provide a great service.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Think of humidity as a consequence, not something to achieve.

My stirmi's & blondi's are on moist substrate & have larger than normal water dishes. The mixture of a large water dish & moist substrate is higher humidity. But that is a consequence of how I keep them & not why I use damp substrate & a larger water dish.

Stirmi's & blondi's really need springtails in their substrate to stop mold. And if the substrate is not sufficiently moist for the springtails to thrive, then it is not sufficiently moist for your blondi / stirmi. Feed your springtails on dried yeast & they will provide a great service.
∆∆∆∆∆ THIS

Latest posts