• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Tegu Threat !!!

lorinmartin1

3 Year Member
Currently Tegu lizards are running AMUK here in the Tampa Bay Area! . I hope this doesn't end up like our Burmese Python problem! As far a tarantulas go- We are invaded by them too- Brachypelma vagans took over an orange grove in Martin Co. Fl. The Dept. of AG. tried to exterminate them several times- with NO success- They decided the Ts posed NO threat, and were only eating insects that are troublesome, hence, no problem! Since then the D.O.A. has left them alone. No harm done. Now, I wonder, if the Tegu Lizards are going to be as bad as the local news is playing them off to be? They claim the Tegus are sometimes very aggressive = & actually chase people.! ??? This may all be "NEWS CHANNEL" ----"B.S." I, personally am going to look into this matter further. Tampa Bay Area is about 25 miles north of my local. I would assume the Tegus- will eventually move south to warmer habitat.??
Why can't we, here in Florida have normal problems???? hehe ?? Alligator is in my pool, Burmese pythons ate my poodle, Lorin has "scary" tarantulas, Tegus are going to lower my real estate value, Aliens made my car not start, Krap, what next! ??? If any of you have heard of this, please <chime-in> & let me know.
thank you for your ear/eye?? hehe
later...
Lorin

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like news channel BS! I've never known a tegu to chase a human being! Sheesh!
I've seen some stories online about the outbreak of tegus but I didn't know if it was quite that bad! Do you think some of these were Bobby Hill's tegus that escaped when he left them at his old breeding facility?

lorinmartin1

3 Year Member
could be, ?? who knows. I do intend to really check up on this- not like our GOVT. checks up on stuff!! hehe- I will, get to the real story on this - as I am, so close to the area.

Latest posts