• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The tale of two T's...

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Sunday morning I awoke to find my B. Albo cruising down my hallway (thanking the gods my cat was asleep) like it was another day in the wilderness. Apparently the ol man forgot to close up his tank when he was done showing some friends (crisis averted) then this morning as I was sitting ont he couch getting ready for work I look up and notice a rather large house spider on my ceiling in the living room about 3 rooms over from my T room- I think to myself "wow what a beauty kind of big, I wonder what type of spider that is?" so I turn on the light for a better look and it's my Pulcher sling WHAT THE HELL!!! I have owned T's for the better part of 20 years and never ever have I had an escape nor have I ever had an enclosure left open! Two in a day and a half! It's enough to give someone a stroke hahahahah.... getting my lil Panama blonde back into her enclosure was an adventure- she's super fast and likes to jump but we got her safely and put her back into her enclosure and sling proofed it (still not sure how she got out)

Anyone else have any crazy escape stories?

syzygy

3 Year Member
When I was in HS (a long long time ago) my dad went to the pet store to get crickets for our T's so they could have a nice meal before we left for a weeks vacation. He came back with crickets and a "bird eating tarantula". The store knew nothing about it...it had gotten too big for somebody and had been donated to the shop so they just gave it to my dad. Mom was not happy...it was at least 7" and quite a different thing from the Brachys she reluctantly allowed us to have.

Anyway, you see where this is going. We come back a week later and it had popped the top off it's container and was loose in our house. The pet store had fed it a mouse the week before so we knew it would last awhile. We tore the place apart without success. We hadn't even had time to name it so it became "Waldo". He still comes up in conversation sometimes and mom is still not happy.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Our b smithi sling escaped once. Found it chilling on our dining room wall. Same thing. Thatz a large spider to be roaming around in mid January.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sunday morning I awoke to find my B. Albo cruising down my hallway (thanking the gods my cat was asleep) like it was another day in the wilderness. Apparently the ol man forgot to close up his tank when he was done showing some friends (crisis averted) then this morning as I was sitting ont he couch getting ready for work I look up and notice a rather large house spider on my ceiling in the living room about 3 rooms over from my T room- I think to myself "wow what a beauty kind of big, I wonder what type of spider that is?" so I turn on the light for a better look and it's my Pulcher sling WHAT THE HELL!!! I have owned T's for the better part of 20 years and never ever have I had an escape nor have I ever had an enclosure left open! Two in a day and a half! It's enough to give someone a stroke hahahahah.... getting my lil Panama blonde back into her enclosure was an adventure- she's super fast and likes to jump but we got her safely and put her back into her enclosure and sling proofed it (still not sure how she got out)

Thankfully no. M. Balfouri came close and chasing Pokies for rehousing is always fun too. Glad they are back where they belong. BTW, not checked your other posts but what did you get as replacement for the "valentine ghost".

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I was in HS (a long long time ago) my dad went to the pet store to get crickets for our T's so they could have a nice meal before we left for a weeks vacation. He came back with crickets and a "bird eating tarantula". The store knew nothing about it...it had gotten too big for somebody and had been donated to the shop so they just gave it to my dad. Mom was not happy...it was at least 7" and quite a different thing from the Brachys she reluctantly allowed us to have.

Anyway, you see where this is going. We come back a week later and it had popped the top off it's container and was loose in our house. The pet store had fed it a mouse the week before so we knew it would last awhile. We tore the place apart without success. We hadn't even had time to name it so it became "Waldo". He still comes up in conversation sometimes and mom is still not happy.
Is the cat still missing too?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I have only had one escapee and it was a DOOZY!! I had ordered an Indian Red Scorpion and due to a missed communication with the seller, I ended up with 6 babies instead of a single juvenile which I was not fully prepared to house. The next day, my dog was barking and I investigated. There was one of the little buggers in my hallway :eek:. For those of you that have read my posts or seen my Invert Room, ALL of my enclosures are locked and in many cases double locked. However, since I did not have enclosures on hand, I put five into temporary enclosures that look like this:

DSCF2211-001.JPG

You cannot see the side vent very well but that scorpion must have pulled itself up like a chin-up and squeezed through the vent. I still can't believe it was possible (Now I tape these if I use them for inverts). Luckily the dog did not get stung. Would have required anti-venom. I am sure the dog would have survived however I would not have as I would have been "voted off the island". The feeling in my stomach that night drives my over zealous approach to housing all of my inverts now. And although no one was injured, my pride will never recover :(

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have only had one escapee and it was a DOOZY!! I had ordered an Indian Red Scorpion and due to a missed communication with the seller, I ended up with 6 babies instead of a single juvenile which I was not fully prepared to house. The next day, my dog was barking and I investigated. There was one of the little buggers in my hallway :eek:. For those of you that have read my posts or seen my Invert Room, ALL of my enclosures are locked and in many cases double locked. However, since I did not have enclosures on hand, I put five into temporary enclosures that look like this:

DSCF2211-001.JPG

You cannot see the side vent very well but that scorpion must have pulled itself up like a chin-up and squeezed through the vent. I still can't believe it was possible (Now I tape these if I use them for inverts). Luckily the dog did not get stung. Would have required anti-venom. I am sure the dog would have survived however I would not have as I would have been "voted off the island". The feeling in my stomach that night drives my over zealous approach to housing all of my inverts now. And although no one was injured, my pride will never recover :(
Wow.... that could have been so much worse. Safety first, second and third now ☺

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Thankfully no. M. Balfouri came close and chasing Pokies for rehousing is always fun too. Glad they are back where they belong. BTW, not checked your other posts but what did you get as replacement for the "valentine ghost".

I got the most beautiful female Balfouri :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member

DSCF2211-001.JPG

That's nuts!! I can't believe it squeezed through that!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We've only had the B. boehmei escape. Had it in a Kritter Keeper but my son to the handle off as it kept getting in the way of the top hatch. He came home from school and fed it. then went back just before dinner to check on it and it was gone. Found it after an hour or so of searching at the bottom of the little shelving unit we had the Ts in. I'd have never seen him, he blended in with the shelf colors and was tucked up in the "corner" of were the base sits on the carpet. Only thing we can think of it is escaped where the handle was removed in the KK.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
We've only had the B. boehmei escape. Had it in a Kritter Keeper but my son to the handle off as it kept getting in the way of the top hatch. He came home from school and fed it. then went back just before dinner to check on it and it was gone. Found it after an hour or so of searching at the bottom of the little shelving unit we had the Ts in. I'd have never seen him, he blended in with the shelf colors and was tucked up in the "corner" of were the base sits on the carpet. Only thing we can think of it is escaped where the handle was removed in the KK.
We had the handle off as well and I'm certain that's how she got out. Stuck it back on and no problems

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Excellent choice. Love them....even though mine is a pet hole. If you have already posted pics can you send a like? Would love to see him/her.

I will tag you in her photo's. she has already built a tunnel but comes out every night about 730- and is out until about 8am in the morning webbing eating and just sitting near her hole. She is fantastic to look at, a real beauty

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will tag you in her photo's. she has already built a tunnel but comes out every night about 730- and is out until about 8am in the morning webbing eating and just sitting near her hole. She is fantastic to look at, a real beauty
So jealous.....mine has been AWOL for ages now.

Latest posts