• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The original sashimi!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
But have you ever fed a fish to a spider?
Here is an old picture of our fishing spider (WC as a juvenile, she was under the bark of a piece of wood I used for our camp fire while camping early 2020 by a lake). She molted once with us and did 3 infertile egg sacs before passing of old age the following winter. This is our local fishing spider.
DF1DCA17-0C4F-4687-A3CD-D47F50213E22.jpeg
EB6E02DC-ED0C-4008-9177-63BDE64033B2.jpeg
41066097-6852-49D1-A162-F301562DE4E1.jpeg
8BF00B5F-421C-41E2-A99E-803E2011CBFC.jpeg

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
How does a trapdoor spider in nature catch a fish?
In order to catch its prey, the spider will typically anchor its hind legs to a stone or a plant, with its front legs resting on the surface of the water, ready to ambush. The fish is then dragged to a dry place before the feeding process can begin.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In order to catch its prey, the spider will typically anchor its hind legs to a stone or a plant, with its front legs resting on the surface of the water, ready to ambush. The fish is then dragged to a dry place before the feeding process can begin.
You have the right answer for a fishing spider :)
You might have missed the part where the question was a how a trapdoor spider catches a fish, which didn't need an answer as they would never in the wild for obvious reasons (@menavodi was being facetious ;) ).

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
How does a trapdoor spider in nature catch a fish?
I researched and found out: Trapdoor spiders make their burrows beside creeks or rivers so they can catch little fish.The trapdoor spiders detects the prey by vibrations and when it comes close enough, the spider jumps out of its burrow and captures it. Female Trapdoor spiders never travel far from their burrows though.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Blame me for knowing so little, I thought trapdoor spiders catch fish the same way.
No worries my friend. Trapdoor spider aren't usually anywhere near water, as they need dry or slightly humid soil to dig their tunnels. If near the water, the soil would be saturated and they would risk drowning every time it rains. Trapdoor spiders also rely on "trigger" lines of web around their trapdoor to know when a prey is nearby and as fish live in the water there is no chance for the two to ever get near each other ;)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I researched and found out: Trapdoor spiders make their burrows beside creeks or rivers so they can catch little fish.The trapdoor spiders detects the prey by vibrations and when it comes close enough, the spider jumps out of its burrow and captures it. Female Trapdoor spiders never travel far from their burrows though.
I believe this to be incorrect as I can't imagine a fish going for a walk and triggering a trapdoor spider ;)

Latest posts