• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Isaac

So I've raised inverts for a while, and it may be a bit nerdy but hey, we collect Tarantulas lol we're in a whole genre of our own right!! Anyways, I really enjoy this kind of situation, but it's not often I run into a good one like this, so I thought it would be fun for those experienced and inexperienced to "Test Your Might!" and give this a good solid guess! I will update this post as this particular Tarantula grows, and eventually you'll get to see if you guessed right, and kind of have a visual of the progression and how you got it wrong or right! Probably something moreso a beginner will enjoy more, but I enjoy it each time this process begins, so maybe not.

This is a Theraphosa apophysis, 3rd instar I believe right at 3"DLS. Make sure to check out both of the photos! And yes they're from the exact same specimen.

Attachments

• 20220503_182546.jpg
    20220503_182546.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • PICA0000_111788066271260.jpg
    PICA0000_111788066271260.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 17

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
gynandromorphism- it has both male and female parts?

If not, I'm definitely leaning male because the first pic could be a reflection of light off the exoskeleton.....and not a flap?

I'm usually pretty good at these things and do terribly when I second guess myself without going off my gut instinct. Are we sexing the tarantula in question?

Isaac

gynandromorphism- it has both male and female parts?

If not, I'm definitely leaning male because the first pic could be a reflection of light off the exoskeleton.....and not a flap?

I'm usually pretty good at these things and do terribly when I second guess myself without going off my gut instinct. Are we sexing the tarantula in question?
I'm 99% sure of the sex, after discussing the specimen with a couple of people we really enjoyed how the two photos could really cause even those with extensive experience to second guess themselves, as you said lol overall it's just for fun, I'll post the next molt once the ecdysis process occurs again; and you can see how your own answer progresses!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm 99% sure of the sex, after discussing the specimen with a couple of people we really enjoyed how the two photos could really cause even those with extensive experience to second guess themselves, as you said lol overall it's just for fun, I'll post the next molt once the ecdysis process occurs again; and you can see how your own answer progresses!

Lol.....I bet @plessey could take a stab it it!

Latest posts