• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terrestrial prolific webbers

Meludox

3 Year Member
Can anyone give me some suggestions of terrestrial tarantulas, preferably NW, that are prolific webbers? I have recently begun to realize that I adore species that just fill their enclosures with webbing like my H. sp Columbia, GBB and Cyclosternum pentalore.

Any other species that I should consider?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBB, H sp. Columbia are the only ones i know of. Waiting to see if my H. triseriatus webs like that also.

khatchet

3 Year Member
It is abreal but Aviculria will web a lot and it gives you quite a few to pick from. I will not say they all web as my female hardly does, but my male use to make amazing funal webs.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Neoholothele incei (formerly Holothele incei) and Cyriocosmus perezmilesi are both NW, both prolific webbers and both are fairly visible especially the C. perezmilesi that has a habit of sitting on top of its web.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Ah, yes, I've been interested in the N. incei for some time now, didn't know that they webbed a lot! That definitely puts that species under the spotlight. I'll check out Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. Also, when did Holothele incei receive a name change? I wasn't aware until now.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah, yes, I've been interested in the N. incei for some time now, didn't know that they webbed a lot! That definitely puts that species under the spotlight. I'll check out Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. Also, when did Holothele incei receive a name change? I wasn't aware until now.
My Socotra Island Blue is a decent webber, but usually to barricade itself in the burrow....lol. My GBB by far the best tho. My Blue fang lays down a decent amount t for such a small thing too. Also agree that avics are prolific but obviously not terrestrial.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Meludox I only found out about the name change about a month ago. There have been a few reclassifications recently.

N. incei. This one has just been rehoused into a larger container but has already begun to fill it with web.

C. perezmilesi

Meludox

3 Year Member
@Meludox I only found out about the name change about a month ago. There have been a few reclassifications recently.

N. incei. This one has just been rehoused into a larger container but has already begun to fill it with web.

C. perezmilesi

Very beautiful specimens! I am definitely going to have to buy one of each. And the weather will be quite warm this week so it's perfect timing. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My OBT is the best webber out of all my T's. It's not as aggressive as I thought. It's fast, yes, but nothing a careful handler can't control
How big? They don't usually develop their attitude until 2-3 inches. Of course it's not uncommon to have a tarantula with a personality that isn't the norm for that species but that doesn't take away the venom or speed factor. They're a lot more spazzy and unpredictable than certain other OW's, and I think the speed could be an issue for people who don't have much experience with fast-moving species. However, this is an OW, the OP was asking about NW's that are heavy webbers :p

My votes go to
Holothele incei
C.cyaneopubescens
H.columbia and Ephebopus species can be pretty heavy webbers depending on how you house them.

Meludox

3 Year Member
How big? They don't usually develop their attitude until 2-3 inches. Of course it's not uncommon to have a tarantula with a personality that isn't the norm for that species but that doesn't take away the venom or speed factor. They're a lot more spazzy and unpredictable than certain other OW's, and I think the speed could be an issue for people who don't have much experience with fast-moving species. However, this is an OW, the OP was asking about NW's that are heavy webbers :p

My votes go to
Holothele incei
C.cyaneopubescens
H.columbia and Ephebopus species can be pretty heavy webbers depending on how you house them.

Any Ephebopus species in particular that you would recommend? I've been interested in E. murinus and E. cyanognathus.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Ephebopus species in particular that you would recommend? I've been interested in E. murinus and E. cyanognathus.
Both are great, E.murinus tend to be a bit more mellow though in my experience, although it's not always the case. All of the Ephebopus species are essentially pet holes and are rarely out in the open during the day.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The heaviest webbing arboreals I've seen are A versicolor and P irminia, with campbridgei slings doing the same, currently. You can also keep GBBs semi arboreal and get a very cool looking enclosure, webbed top to bottom. I'm not a huge fan of the ones that make the inside of an enclosure pure web, like an obt eventually does. But the mostly webbed, haunted forest look is pure win, and comes out best in a semi arboreal set up. In my experience :) My bigger GBB has webbed the top of her enclosure shut and is recovering from a molt, or I could show you what I mean. She utilizes both top and bottom levels of her enclosure.